Boston might be a hub for higher ed, but TFP is where it's at!

kiv558

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2016
Boston burbs, MA
Hiya! Obvious noob here, just bought a house with an old gunite pool. Previous owner took care of pool himself, using store chemicals.

I hired a PB to open for me, and it took about a week of daily visits to have the pool sparkle. Then they left. And I didn't know what to do other than just swim in it, so that's what we did. Obviously, lost all my chlorine, and then when I thought I had it back again we got a minor algae bloom.

I think we beat it back over the past couple of days, but I've been reading EVERYTHING on TFP and ordered my T-100 test kit. Picked up some supplies at Walmart yesterday. Tested last night and this morning using my old test kit (so not accurate numbers, just the pink readings). Chlorine stayed the same overnight (it's high, according to the pinkness), so I think today is the day that I'll add a gallon of bleach each night until the test kit gets here. That can't come soon enough.

I came out of lurking to just say hi and to tell you folks that I have never encountered such an amazing, supportive community. You all should give yourselves a big high five for sharing your knowledge with those of us who are just starting out (and asking the same questions over and over and over again). I know that once I get going on this method, I'll have lots of questions for you, but in the meantime -- I heartfelt advance thank you. I will pledge to search the forum before asking my one million questions... ;)

Happy 4th!
Rhonda

(off to go figure out how to get my signature to show up... lol)

Re: Boston might be a hub for higher ed, but FFP is where it's at!

Welcome Rhonda! Let's just call July 4th your Pool's Independence Day from algae and problems because from this day forward you want to have the sparkly clean water you can get when you do it the TFP way!

Good job on ordering the TF-100...it truly is the best test kit out there, and it will give you the results you need to understand your pool better. It should be there this week, I imagine.

Holler back with any questions- we were *all* in your shoes at one time or another

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Post those TF-100 test results as soon as you can. Don't worry about asking the same old question. The one jug of bleach each night is a very good idea.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....that's the place to start.