Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cartridge filter failure

1. Back To Top    #1

cartridge filter failure

I'm trying to help troubleshoot my folks hayward cartridge filter issue where their filter failed this morning by spliting at a seem near the top. They had high pressure problems just prior, with their pressure reading 25 to 30 psi and their pump recently making more noise then usual. I dont know if it is related or not, but their in-ground cleaning system seemed to have very little pressure to where the pop up heads where not rotating. Any ideas on what would cause their filter body to fail?
    Pool Size 10,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    In Ground "Pebble Tech" (plaster)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cartridge filter failure

Most filters are rated for 50 psi, and should be totally fine at 30 psi.

I would guess that it was either defective or became damaged at some earlier point and then failed later. But that is just guessing without lots more information.

From your description it sounds like there was some kind of blockage in the system that was causing the filter pressure to get higher than it usually does. Unfortunately, there are many things that could do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: cartridge filter failure

Thanks Jason, thats what I figured. We are going to try and just replace the top end of the filter if Hayward can supply just that section.
    Pool Size 10,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    In Ground "Pebble Tech" (plaster)