What do you to maintain correct levels?

So I just did another complete test and everything is close to the same but my CYA changed. Here's the results:

Yesterday Today
7.2 PH 7.5
.5 FC 1
.5 CC 1
350 CH 350
170 TA 170
Less than 20 CYA 35

So not sure if I need to keep going to the calculator or my numbers are good enough to slam the pool? Question on slamming, says my pool needs to be 10ppm, do I use the calculator to see the correct amount to add or do I just keep adding till I reach that level?

First, get your pH down to 7.2.

Also, if the CYA test was half way between 30 and 40, you need to count it as 40. The test is not linear. SLAM level would be 16, but lower your pH first.

Did you add CYA or any pucks yesterday???

I added the stabilizer, I didn't put the full recommended amount last night but I added what the pool calculator said tonight. It is the granule type, all I could find at Walmart.

You are raising your CYA more? If so, and you added it to a sock, take the sock out right away. You want your CYA to ideally be between 30 and 40 for your slam.

I was doing what the pool math calculator told me to do.....Just checked and my chlorine levels are above the 5 10 color on chlorine/ph test...my ph went to 7.8 also. Rookie mistake I guess. So now the chlorine levels are high do I just let them come down and try to balance everything out?

The first thing you need is a proper test kit, so you know what your levels are.
With a FC count above 10, the Ph will read high, so we don't even do that test during a SLAM ,,, read this...

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

The link I posted will give you all the info you need. If you have any further questions after reading that, we will be here to help you out.

Well here I am another success story, pool is clear and hopefully tonight I will be done slamming the pool. 2 nights ago I lost 4.5ppm over night and last night I only lost 2 so hopefully tonight I will be 1 or less and be able to bring the pool into normal conditions! Thanks all for the help and this has been fabulous. I don't think I will feel like the pool can get the best of me now that I have the test kits and know exactly what's going on and if there is something I can't figure out I can just ask you guys!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I would like to ask the veterans, would it be beneficial fro me to get some type of chlorinator? Could I put tablets in the frog or is it best to just check daily and add what pool math says? What do you do?

Guess I missed judged what it was going to take to get my pool right...I thought that 16 gallons of 12% would get me through the season but it has only lasted a week! My pool is now crystal clear but I have not passed my OCLT. I have to be getting close so it has to pass very soon....hopefully!

My pool is absolutely crystal clear and it only took a week! Now I have another question, while maintaining the correct chlorine levels (trying around 3) I try to use the basic k-1000 kit but I honestly cannot tell the difference of the yellows???? What appears to be 5 that test only yields 2 with the TF-100 FC test? I assume the TF-100 is way more accurate so what do you guys do to daily test your chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good luck with the OCLT!!!!!

I just use bleach/liquid chlorine all the time. Pucks will add more CYA to your water... I check my FC almost daily.

If you have to go on vacation, double check things with us before you go.

Ok, I will be going on a 5 day vacation in a week. My pool is perfect, how can I keep it that way for 5 days? I just want to get prepared, love, love, love my pool now. The kids say they can see from one side to the other under water wearing goggles....never could do that in the 8 years of owning this pool!

that is where trichlor pucks come in :) depending on how many pucks you use will give you the raise in CYA..

Some have also taken the pool to SLAM level and used pucks so they don't use as many pucks

Thanks cowboycasey, I think I will utilize the old frogger and fill it with pucks. I guess looking at it I only have a few weeks left before I close it for the season anyway but I guess I shouldn't let it go. I will have to read up on closing procedures also!

My only suggestion is to be very careful with the pucks. They will raise your CYA. Once that CYA gets too high there is no way to lower it without draining water. It will also lead to a higher FC needed to keep your pool sanitized. Post your latest CYA and they can tell you the best way to go about vacation mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.