How to lower pool water/ Backwash or Clean Filter

Iceman82

Bronze Supporter
Jun 19, 2016
Aurora, IL
Good morning everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I'm a new owner and still learning about my pool. I've been able to balance chemicals and have finally gotten the water to be crystal clear. WIN!

Now, I have few issues. My CYA is high (almost 100) and after rainfall my pool water level is really high! Can anyone recommend how to lower the water level? I read about back-washing the filter or using it to runoff water. I'm totally unsure of what that means or how to do that process. Can anyone help?

2nd part. Can anyone explain what Back-washing the filter is and what it does? I've read that fliters have a backwash option....mine doesn't. I know this a dumb question....please forgive me. I've tried cleaning my filter, but I'm unable to get it open to remove the cartridge.

I have a Hayward Power Flo Series LX Pump and Hayward ASL Series C1250 Filter. I've included photos.

Thanks for any and all help.

You have a cartridge filter. Backwashing is for Sand and DE filters, which have a special multi-port valve that does all manner of interesting things.

So back to your setup (I also have a cartridge filter). Draining water may be a little difficult with this rig. There is a black plug on the opposite side of the pump on your filter, that will allow you to drain water, however, without some way to direct the water it's going to soak that footing area, and I'm not sure I like that idea. Please hang on for an experienced AG member to offer you some suggestions. One way I've heard to remove water from aboveground pools is to take your garden hose, fully submerge it in the pool to get all the air out, and then hold your hand over one end and lay the end of the hose lower than the level of the hose inside the pool - this will create a siphon that can pull water out. There may be other, smarter ways though. :)

Hi, that looks like a 1 1/2" drain plug in on the right side of the filter in your photo. What you need is a 1 1/2" threaded backwash hose adaptor, similar to this. You can usually find these with the pvc plumbing in hardware stores. It doesn't have to have the step down to 1 1/4" to work. Shut off the valve in front of the pump and if there is not a valve between the filter and the pool you will need to plug the return line so water doesn't flow backward through the return while you are removing the filter plug. Screw the hose adapter into the plug opening, and use a radiator clamp or hose clam to attach a backwash hose to the adapter. Remove the cartridge from the filter and replace the lid. Direct the hose where you want the waste water to go, open the valve and turn on the pump. If you ever need to drain below the skimmer level use your pool vacuum as a floor drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.