Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Hey all - just got my s200 today and ran it a couple of times. Initial observations were great as it pulled a fair bit of sand and dirt off the bottom that I had not seen before - we have a darker pebbletec and can't always tell what is there. It also did a great job with the leaves and I found the basket very easy to use.

The big question, which I believe others have faced, is what to do about it getting caught on the drains at the bottom of the pool? Each time I ran the unit it eventually got stuck on one of the two main drain/grates in the deep end of the pool and I had no idea for how long and assume it didn't clean the entire pool as a result. I can't imagine I'm the only one who is facing this - any thoughts or recommendations? Otherwise love the unit day 1.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Sorry about my next words...

There's not a good solution for the drain sticking issue. Some have been able to replace drain covers and some use hokey drain surrounds to create ramps but the best solution is to get the M500 (or any of those Dolphin models with a third middle brush).

My S300i will get hung up for 20-30sec then just power turn itself to get going again. Just watch it next time and see what it does. It’s rare for them to completely bottom out and not clean the pool as a result.

I ran it a couple of more times today and regrettably it does get caught on my drain and is unable to move off :( The only way to get it off was with a tug on the cord.

Thanks for the direct words bmore. I'll call Marina and explore options. I may just choose to live with it, checking during cleaning cycles from time to time. Absolutely love the bot beyond this challenge.

If it’s any consolation my A20 (S200) ends up inverted on a bench about 38% of the time I run him. Also a quick tug resolves and I love it otherwise and deal with it.

Yes, my S200 has gone vertical on my top swim step only to sit there for a while and turn off. But all in all, Ghostlight rocks.

Question. Hopefully sooner than later, I will be having my pool resurfaced. My single main drain will be converted to a channel drain or something VGB compliant. Are there any particular drains I should watch for or request? Or, should I already anticipate that Ghostlight will have problems with it?

Mine gets caught up on the drain but as joyfulnoise said, after about 30 seconds the power jets blow it off and it goes in merrily on its way. After a short amount of time it uses its power jet to change direction and it always gets off my drains when it does that. Cleans my pool beautifully.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks like a unique, inconspicuous solution. I look forward to a review by someone whose robot is getting stuck. Hopefully there is no entrapment hazard I’m not considering. Don’t wedge your foot under it and leave it there I suppose if your head is below the waterline.

My customers have had success with the Polaris Unibridge. It's pricey but it works.

Yes, that does look like it would work. No lip around the edge and the cover is convex shaped so there’s no flat top to bottom out on.

Hmmmm....no all I need is a diving suit and some SCUBA training and I can change out my covers :scratch:

I can't thank everyone here enough. I've been lurking for months as I researched, planned, and got our pool installed...this place has been an invaluable resource throughout. We completed the build so close to closing time that I didn't bother with a robot at the time and have been shopping for a cleaning robot (off and on) during the winter. I determined that I wanted a Dolphin and spent WAY too much time trying to figure out which one, but this thread helped clear up some feature differences, solidify my choice, AND pointed me to Marina Pool, Spa, and Patio. I just ordered the Active 20 today and the "end of season" price was down to $600(!), which seems like a fantastic price for a really solid robot. I added the drop-in mesh basket that comes standard with the 300i, as well. I'm incredibly thankful for all the help I found in this thread! :cheers:

Always wrap your cord by either rolling it or using the “over-under” cooling technique (look it up on YouTube). Never coil the cable like an extension cord or else you’ll introduce twists into the cord.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.