Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Over under or figure 8 cord storage avoids adding any twists to a cable, because you are doing one clockwise and one counter clockwise turn each time. On our fire trucks we would daisy chain the cords which also avoids twisting, but that requires a pliable cord, and uses smaller turns. So, you aren't twisting the wire but you are storing it with some fairly tight bends in it. Any circular wrap in the same direction will be twisting the cable, large circles is just less twists, than small ones. Which means you can still cause damage, it just takes longer.

@ PoolAmateur, "[r]oll up the cable so that it has no kinks" Offseason Storage

So, when I said that I rolled mine up, that is literally what I did. I stood at the end of the controller plug in and grabbed that piece, and then started very big rolls towards Ghostlight. So, if Maytronics does not want any kinks and state to "roll," well then literally that is how it can be done. It worked ok. I have not tried this over/under technique, but I guess that could technically put kinks in it, just it would be balanced out, b/c it is being done on both sides. Rolling may not be perfect either, but it worked. Perhaps it's 6 of 1 dozen, half of the other...

Last edited:
bbrock,
Thanks for the info, that is basically how I do it, as that is what I learned from an electrician, if you have a wheel to roll it on even easier. It does take more time but doesn't twist, must unroll also. I am going to try the over under next time. The bigger pain is untwisting after bringing it out of pool when it has run 4-5 cycles.

Recently, I Googled and watched some of the 1st few hits that came up for over/under coiling. Really was as clear until I found this video: How to Coil Cables - YouTube. I tired the 1st technique which the guy demonstrated as the 2nd technique is slightly more difficult. Need to practice more.

After letting Ghostlight run for a week of cleanings, I removed her from the pool, rinsed the filter, and attempted to coil the cord. I performed this over/under, and the cord seemed to want to resist the "under" coil I was performing. That led me to think the rolling I was doing before worked better, but I can't say that for sure as the last time I did the roll technique it was after leaving the cord on the deck for 1-2 hr. Thus, that was an extraneous variable. For a true comparison, I would have to leave the cord on the deck and then perform this over/under.

Maybe it was you Matt/Joyfulnoise, but some one had mentioned (sorry, I did not search for the post first), that the cord can be coiled right away and that it doesn't have to be left on the deck. Makes sense b/c sometimes users may but away the robot at sundown/night to put away the robot if not going back in to pool. I also thought that in the winter time/off season, leaving it on the deck for a couple of hours won't work to straighten it as well d/t the colder temps. All I know is that after this over/under roll, I threw in Ghostlight yesterday (had been out for 24 hrs and cord was coiled in large loops following the over/under), and it developed a twist or 2 after that 1st run. Anyone else notice that after their 1st run they get up to a couple of twists in the cord?

Also, I am now thinking a caddy would be good. Why? Even though I can handle removing Ghostlight and carrying her back/forth, I need to account for all parties here who can't. Thus, if it would be difficult for my wife, that is my baseline. Even though she doesn't do any of the pool maintenance stuff, in case I need her to mess with Ghostlight or do something in an emergency, I need to take that into account. Thus, I am going to caddy up now. After almost buying the 9996098 model, I noticed that 9996087 is the correct model for the S200. Isn't that correct?

Maytronics 9996098-ASSY
Dolphin Pool Cleaner Caddy | Robot Pool Cleaners

Maytronics 9996087-ASSY
Dolphin Robotic Caddy

After much research, I discovered that PoolZoom has the best price. Unfortunately, I can't find any coupon code or anything though.

And finally, how do you owner's remove yours from the pool? It says not to pull it out by the cord, but seriously in the real world not R&D lab, I don't see how it can hurt especially if you are pulling very gently. I mean I am lying on the pool deck, arm completely submerged, and pulling out Ghostlight very gently with the cord. I don't see how else to do it so that without spending more time.

And finally, how do you owner's remove yours from the pool? It says not to pull it out by the cord, but seriously in the real world not R&D lab, I don't see how it can hurt especially if you are pulling very gently. I mean I am lying on the pool deck, arm completely submerged, and pulling out Ghostlight very gently with the cord. I don't see how else to do it so that without spending more time.

I use the cord to get it over to the side (often a bench in about 1 foot of water). Then I just pull it out of the water with the handle.

Lastly, I am not thinking a caddy would be good. Why? Even though I can handle removing Ghostlight and carrying her back/forth, I need to account for all parties here who can't. Thus, if it would be difficult for my wife, that is my baseline. Even though she doesn't do any of the pool maintenance stuff, in case I need her to mess with Ghostlight or do something in an emergency, I need to take that into account. Thus, I am going to caddy up now. After almost buying the 9996098 model, I noticed that 9996087 is the correct model for the S200. Isn't that correct?

Maytronics 9996098-ASSY
Dolphin Pool Cleaner Caddy | Robot Pool Cleaners

Maytronics 9996087-ASSY
Dolphin Robotic Caddy

After much research, I discovered that PoolZoom has the best price. Unfortunately, I can't find any coupon code or anything though.

The 6087 looks like the caddy that came with my 300i.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This page shows shows the "regular/fast" button, I guess implying it works;
Active 20

OTOH this PDF says its' only 2 hours;
https://maytronicsus.com/maytronics/downloads/8100052-A-Series-Brochure-Classification9-19-16.pdf

Guess I took the web page at face value. :confused:

Maytronics is VERY MISLEADING with that page for the Active 20. As kev points out, it shows functions on the power supply that do NOT exist for the 20. And it shows MultiLayer filtering, also not available for the 20. Finally the video at the top of the page shows a power supply lit up for the 300 series, again not the 20.

Maytronics should be ashamed of themselves for this.

FWIW. That's the exact same power supply I have on the Active 20. Don't know why they show the two modes.

The multi layer filtering is available IF you buy the basket, but not by inserting the seperate panel as shown in the picture. So, yes, misleading.

I think what you have overall is just a sloppy website and poor content management of the website. It seems they reuse images from across different product lines in their splashy web pages but then are accurate in their specification lists and product comparison pages. Whoever is in charge of the website portion of their marketing should be taken-to-task for a confusing user experience. I don't think it's intentionally misleading, it's just sloppy work.

My suggestion has always been this - find local shops that sell the units you're looking for and go "kick the tires" there. You'll get a heck of a lot more accurate info from talking to a local rep/seller than trying to decode the info on the website.

...87 is the proper caddy.

No fast mode on A20.

Cord tangles after first use, regardless, for me.

I can easily make big loops with the cord, eliminating accumulated twists, right after pulling Earl out.

Well, Maytronics can't stop confusing folks. Here is the instruction for the Active 20. I don't think the power supply is really this one:
Power Supply 2015

It seems the power supply info has a bunch of "optional" features. Some, like Fast mode, are not really options for the 20 or 200 models. They are just optional if you buy more expensive models, the 300, 30, 300i, or 30i.

Well, Maytronics can't stop confusing folks. Here is the instruction for the Active 20. I don't think the power supply is really this one:
Power Supply 2015

It seems the power supply info has a bunch of "optional" features. Some, like Fast mode, are not really options for the 20 or 200 models. They are just optional if you buy more expensive models, the 300, 30, 300i, or 30i.

The advanced cleaning features (ULTRA mode, Floor-only, Tile Line, etc) are only available in the 3-- models and they are only accessible/programmable by Bluetooth connection to the power supply through the Dolphin Mobile App

My Disovery came with the power supply which is this one: Power Supply 2015

I was also confused thinking I had options that I apparently don't have... wouldn't it be nice to be able to "upgrade" the device somehow to utilize those buttons on my power supply pack?

I still love "Sheldon" and don't regret buying him at all.

Maddie :flower:

Hey Everybody,

So I just ordered a Dolphin S200 from Marina today and I am looking forward to putting it to use. It's going to be delivered on the 16th.

Now to my question.

We've just had the pool built and it's been full of water for 10 days today. I've got the pool balanced well using the BBB method .... other than the somewhat high chlorine usage being in the sun all day and the acid needs to hold ph down due to plaster curing. What is the consensus on when I can safely use a tracked robot to clean the pool? On our previous pool with plain plaster and a Polaris wheeled pressure cleaner we did get wheel track marks in the plaster. But the stonescapes mini pebbles plaster feels hard as a rock already .....

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.