TFTestkits question

Received my TF-100 today!

First test... Chlorine Drop Test... following directions I put 10 ml in the speedstir and added 870 powder. Looked like a tinge of pink so I started adding 871 to bring back to clear. Seems like the more drops I added the more pink the sample got. Washed the equipment and started to retest. Second sample put in speedstir beaker and added 870 powder. Looked clear so let it set for 15 or 20 minutes and came back and found sample had turned pink.

What have I done, what have I done?

Thanks for any help you can give!

John

Hi John and welcome to TFP! :wave: So you broke your tester already huh? :p Just kidding. We don't let the solution sit. It will always revert back to pink if you do. Simply add your one heaping scoop of powder, then start the speed stir and adding drops of R-0871 until clear and divide by 2 (i.e. 14 drops = FC of 7). If yours turned clear right away, it means your FC is VERY low. :) Time to add bleach.

Haha... this is going to be a great place to hang out and learn! Worth the price of admission already!

Mr Bruce... test results with yellow side revealed zero chlorine... off to add some bleach!

Anyone have any info on "Exceptional Value Bleach Regular" ? Wife thought it was a good buy but no indication as to strength on label and could find nothing on the net.

Thanks!

John

Haha... this is going to be a great place to hang out and learn! Worth the price of admission already!

Mr Bruce... test results with yellow side revealed zero chlorine... off to add some bleach!

Anyone have any info on "Exceptional Value Bleach Regular" ? Wife thought it was a good buy but no indication as to strength on label and could find nothing on the net.

Thanks!

John
Generally, bleach with no % markings end up being 6% or less. If it's marked "concentrated" it's 8.25%.

Received my TF-100 today!

First test... Chlorine Drop Test... following directions I put 10 ml in the speedstir and added 870 powder. Looked like a tinge of pink so I started adding 871 to bring back to clear.

John

Hi John,

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but you're measuring the sample, THEN adding the powder, THEN putting the speed stir magnet in, right?

I only asked because Ive read where people are measuring the water sample with the magnet in the tube, which will obviously skew the results since your sample size is wrong.

Also make sure you're using a 'heaping scoop' of the powder.

Joey

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your replies! Very helpful so far!

Texas Splash and OTPirate: Keeping the flow going IS the way to go... tested today and got a good test! Worked as advertised! Grabbed that drink after the testing was done ;)

tim5055: Thanks for the info!

pooldv: I gave the wife your advise! Thanks ;)

poolmama67: Our Walmart had the same price on 10% today... stocked up :cool:

Joey: Never hurts to ask the obvious :eek: I was using the correct progression through my first test... taking too much time seemed to be the problem :oops:

Today's test results ended up being:

FC = 1.5

TC = 2.5

pH = 7.8

TA = 160

CH = 175

CYA = <20 the dot did not disappear :mad:

I put 18 oz of 8.25% bleach in and 32 oz of stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer.
Is TA too high? PoolMath said goal of 70 to 90+ :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh hey, I think you live right by me if it's the West Fallowfield in Chester County.

Gritz pools will deliver 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% chlorine to you at $2.90/gallon, which is a better deal than most grocery store bleach, plus free delivery. The Walmart in Parksburg has 10% for $2.50 in the garden section as well. That home depot in the shopping center has the cheapest MA I can find, $6/gallon in a 2 pack.

For your TA - keep lowing your pH to the 7.2-7.5 range with MA, and your TA will drift down and find it's sweet spot.
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.