1st Algae Battle

I am battling algae for the first time complements of not closing the pool properly and opening way too late, as in 6 days ago. I have seen significant progress using the slam steps and received my Tf100 refills yesterday. The pool has gone from a dark green swamp to clear water, however my pump has decided that it will no longer get run on high for longer than 10 minutes so vacuuming has become an issue. Works fine on low for circulating but that is all. I am not seeing green in the pool but there is some brownish looking sediment in spots on the pool floor. When hit with the brush it's like a tiny brown cloud. I thought we were almost done with our slam but now I am not so sure. Prior to the attempted vacuum I tested the water:
FC=10
cC=0
TA=120
Cya =30
PH tested prior to start of slam was 7.2

After the failed vacuum attempt I brushed the entire pool and tested one hour later. All results were the same except the FC dropped to 5! I added 9 cups of 10% liquid chlorine to get back to slam level 12. This is the biggest drop in FC since day 1 slam. Cartridge filter is clean and the steps are not in yet.

With 0 CC is it possible that we still have live algae? I was hoping the stuff on the bottom was dead but maybe not??

Also will the lack of vacuum hinder the slam process?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I commend you for getting the TF-100. :goodjob: That was key. As for the SLAM, it's never done until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria, so you're still in the fight. Will the lack of vacuuming hurt you? ..... a bit yes, because there is only so much sediment you can kick-up with a brush and try to get pushed into your skimmer suction. Eventually you'll have to look into that. It may be a capacitor issue, or perhaps the pump has something wrapped around the impeller causing it to overheat at certain rpms? Just a thought. You might want to check (with power off) to see if the impeller moves freely. But your numbers above (CYA of 30 w/ FC of 12) are spot-on. Just do the best you can. Having a CC of 0 doesn't mean you're done, it just means you are not currently recording any chlorine that requires oxidation. That brown stuff could be algae, or perhaps something else that is just settling in the water now that you can see better. Hard to tell. If you don't have a skimmer sock on your poolside skimmer, you may want to try one to see if that helps too. The final step will be an overnight (OCLT) test. That will tell you if there are still organics chewing-up FC in the water.

Oh, don't forget to update your signature for us so we know what you're working with there. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks Texas Splash! I tested the water again about an hour after the bleach addition. FC is now 15, cc still 0. I plan to get up early tomorrow and test again before the sun hits the pool. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

As for the pump, it started acting up at the end of last season, actually tripping the breaker. Then like a miracle it worked fine for the first two days of the slam. It started acting up again after I swapped out the filter cartridge, just shutting down but not tripping the breaker. Maybe just a coincindence on the filter change?

You mentioned something might be tangled in the impellar...how can I check it?

Thanks,
Allison

We normally check the impeller by removing the strainer basket clear lid and trying touch the impeller with our finger tips or a small subject like a screwdriver of wooden dowel - something long enough that will get into that opening where the water enters towards the pump. (With power disconnected of course). :) It should spin rather freely. Sometimes debris makes it past the basket and gets wrapped around that impeller, or sometimes we actually have to remove the motor (dry end) from the strainer basket (wet end) to inspect it from the back-side. But if it's turning freely that's good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.