New Intex dual suction outlet... please help

No it should not smash the black rubber thing because the Inlet (inside of pool) uses it as a sleeve. Basically the inlet (from inside the pool) pushes through the black sleeve. This creates something for the clamp top be tightened to. Here is a pic of what the inlet looks like. The bottom hose coming from the plunger and running to the pump is a 1-1/2" hose, but the adapter that connects to both the plunger and the pump is an intex proprietary size of 40mm.

Intex Inlet.jpg

Thanks for all of your help. I bought a new liner for my pool this season and was unaware of the changes that were made to the new style and so now I am stuck without all of the correct attachments and hoses. I have tried researching and locating the parts I need to purchase and have been unsuccessful.

Thanks for all of your help. I bought a new liner for my pool this season and was unaware of the changes that were made to the new style and so now I am stuck without all of the correct attachments and hoses. I have tried researching and locating the parts I need to purchase and have been unsuccessful.
Plug one of the holes and cut the other one larger with an Xacto knife to fit your old fitting.

No it should not smash the black rubber thing because the Inlet (inside of pool) uses it as a sleeve. Basically the inlet (from inside the pool) pushes through the black sleeve. This creates something for the clamp top be tightened to. Here is a pic of what the inlet looks like. The bottom hose coming from the plunger and running to the pump is a 1-1/2" hose, but the adapter that connects to both the plunger and the pump is an intex proprietary size of 40mm.

View attachment 62519
How do you vacuum your pool with this setup?

If you purchase the deluxe hayward skimmer, it comes with a suction adaptor that you place over the basket within the skimmer (see Pic). Here is a youtube video that shows how to to do it with a skimmer setup. If you don't have a skimmer, I would just buy the large index vacuum kit with mesh bag. It hooks to a garden hose and use the suction from water pressure (see pic)

How to Vacuum Your Pool - YouTube

Vacuum Plate.jpg v

I am planning to put the hayward skimmer in and have the dual port as well. I plan to cut out both small ports, install haward fittings and plug one of them off for now. However the second port I plan to tie into the 3 way valve on the skimmer. I dont see a hayward suction strainer fitting? what is everyone using if you have the hayward return fittings and want to put a strainer on it to use for supply?

I ended up making both holes 1.5" and plugging one and just using a single 1.5" suction to the pump which is how I had it set up on previous pool. The smaller hoses and the dual plunger valve setup is annoying and just looks ugly IMO.

I have the over the wall skimmer I'm using for now and used an Intex 1.5"return fitting with strainer for the inlet. The hose fitting would not thread over the strainer cap and since it is glued in by Intex, I cut it off with a hacksaw. Also I can now use a plunger valve as a standard thru-wall fitting I have is too short for the plunger to connect. I was able to do this with extra Intex parts I've accumulated, so I didn't have to wait for parts to deliver which was the main reason for doing it this way. Quite happy with the results.

Has anyone on this thread actually had both pool liners, the old style (pre 2015) which had one suction and one discharge hole and the new (2015) which has 2 suction and one discharge? I bought the accessory kit to convert my filter/pump setup to work with the new style liner Intex shipped me, as I needed a new liner and I must say... I am very very disappointed. Now having 2 suction holes which tie into a plunger valve an converts to one hose prior to entering the pump, there is nowhere close to enough suction to manually vacuum (if you can even find attachments to do so) and the water return coming back into the pool has hardly any pressure at all. Very disappointing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hard piped my two-suction lines with a ball valve for each. I leave one mostly closed so that my external (internal, in the pool) basket has enough suction to draw the floating crud into the basket. Otherwise like you said, there is no way for a skimmer or vacuum to work. I hae two 1" lines feeding into the 1-1/4" line that goes into my 1hp hayward pump.
Hard Pipe - YouTube
Intex 18x48 ultra frame pool arrangement - YouTube

I had the old style pool up and just this year put up the new style with dual suctions. I plugged one to make my skimmer work properly but that just starved my pump. And my vacuum just sat in one spot no mater if I plugged one or left both open.

I converted both to 1.5" and plugged one (looks much better than just plugging the black sleeve) and the other goes to my pump just like my previous. I did lower the water level to do this, but you may be able to do it with the "bowl" trick and a helper.

20170615_071125-1_zpsegaazkvx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ohh wow!! I didn't realize Intex made the holes smaller with the dual setup. I still have the older style liner and have been thinking about the future when it needs to be replaced that I'd plug the one suction line myself. Maybe cut the hole larger and use an older style 1.5 intex fitting or standard fitting? Gah, they never make things easy!

I have the same problem as some here. Purchased new liner with new style dual suction ports. Thanks to some reading here I have many good ideas. I plan to hard pipe the system and add wall skimmer. I never liked the floating one anyways. Now my idea for the 2 extra ports is to use them for my solar heater. I might just run some black pipe on the roof of my house and circulate water through it because the little plastic heater I have does not really seam to do much. Hopefully some one can give me some ideas on how to connect to these small ports. perhaps the best way is to just purchase the strainer inserts from intex and then clamp a rubber boot to adapt it to pvc. Is there a cheaper or faster solution?

There are two outlet lines (ports or holes) from the pool to the pump for legal reasons. Two outlets splits the suction of each port in half. That makes it less likely that a young child could be held below the water line. Regardless..
Your pool kit came with a plunger valve that the two hose lines from the pool connect to. It's called a split plunger valve. Then from that connection, out from the bottom of the split plunger valve, one single hose goes to the pump. Just like in the diagram.

The black plug/cap you're talking about comes with your pool kit and goes on the inside of the pool on one of strainers on one of the suction lines. Then only one of the outlet ports actually sucks water from the pool, through the plunger valve and to the pump. There really isn't much difference in how water is circulated, regardless of the size of your pump whether there are two suction lines or one. (Except of course, the relative safety it provides by splitting the pumps suction between two hose lines in the pool instead of a single suction line.)

Having the suction split into two hoses at the pool affects your ability to vacuum efficiently. Or, if you attach a skimmer and have two outlets the skimmer will be less efficient.

The two hoses from the pool, to the plunger valve, to the pump work the same as one line from the pool to the pump.
If your not going to use the two suction lines and the hoses at all and you're going to cut in a through wall skimmer, then, the black plugs/caps need to be used to plug the two small suction lines.

May an amateur pool owner make a suggestion? Maybe you could set it up as the instructions say, make sure everything works, see what the two suction lines do, and then make any plumbing changes you want sometime after that? It seems it's not that difficult to make changes while the pool has water in it....
So if I'm understanding correctly, the holes are smaller in the new 2 outlet port intex pools causing them to be 1/2 the suction each. Would it work to put a valve plunger in the 2nd outlet port to cap it off, then cut the 1st hole larger to fit our current plunger/hose size? I must say, I have no small children around using the pool. I would like to keep the full strength suction for the skimmer as well. Is the inlet port still the same size as before?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.