Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward S166T problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward S166T problem?

I have a Hayward S166T sand filter, and the pressure has been erratic over the past 3 weeks, well, since start-up.

I changed the sand about 3 weeks ago before I turned it on for the season.

I started with a bad algae problem and fixed it, although now my water will not clear from a milky white color.

The clean pressure is 5psi, and I never let it get above 12 psi. If it gets to 12 psi I backwash, rinse, and restart.

For the past several days it has been at 5 psi. Then 3 or 4 hours later it will go up to 10 psi for 3 or 4 hours, and then shoot back down to 5 psi.

Any clues as to what this might be?

All of my hoses are tight. The cover o-ring on the pump is new and not letting air in, and the filter head is secure and airtight.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward S166T problem?

Welcome to TFP!!

Check the directional 'eyeball' on the return fitting - if it's not secure it can occasionally turn to block the return, resulting in higher pressure. Just a WAG, but the only thing I can think of at the moment
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)