New member inherited a 39 year old lovingly maintained 18 x40 inground pool

Jun 10, 2016
ottawa canada
New to the site, and reading lots of posts and pool school articles. Having some struggles getting the pool started... It's been hot weather and now cold again, but algae seems to be taking over. Reading about slam, and think I'm heading into that direction. My dad was the pool maintenance guy, but we lost him this winter so I'm the new point person for my mom. Questions with test info to follow...

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Sorry for your loss.

The main problem you are going to have is getting a test kit. One company has an exclusive arrangement with Taylor to sell testing reagents into Canada. A K-2006-C test kit in the US can easily double in price north of the border. many resort to buying a kit and having it shipped south of the border and picking it up.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. If you have a US address, order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

If not, the only other real option for a test kit in Canada is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis