Intex Salt Water Generator (SWG) for in ground pool (IGP) Model ECO 8110 28669EG

In essence they are in parallel. I have them plumbed in way I can divert certain amount of water to the SWG "circuit" and I can bypass the two SWG for service reason or take it in during a hurricane warning...which I have done once last year.
I did the measurement as note to anyone out there that might to try this setup.

In essence they are in parallel. I have them plumbed in way I can divert certain amount of water to the SWG "circuit" and I can bypass the two SWG for service reason or take it in during a hurricane warning...which I have done once last year.
I did the measurement as note to anyone out there that might to try this setup.
I was referring to running the SWG's themselves in parallel, instead of being linked in series.

you are right some one else out there might want to consider plumbing them in parallel. Luckily I don't have the back pressure issue since I divert maybe 30% to 50% of the water flow into the SWG circuit. The previous owner had a solar water heater which is no longer there and I am using that existing plumbing for the two SWG
IntexSWGs.jpg

Documentation note. The two intex swg has been working perfectly for the past 2 years. Right now I have pool pump, swg running 4 hours a day. It has paid for itself after year one

Good to hear. My pair ran great all last season, I expect the same this season. See the link in my signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i am running my setup 5 hours a day in hot sunny florida. I need an extra hour of run time for additional chlorine but I am trying to avoid by cleaning the plates. 2nd time in two years. I have yet to use any acid for cleanup. 1/2 credit card did the trick to dislodge calcium build up. Hopefully then mechanical scraping is less harsh than using vinegar.

The reason I am trying to avoid the extra run time is because I have single speed pool pump. I calculated it cost me $0.25/ hour to run my pump. The economics says its cheaper to buy chlorine than run the pool pump/swg combo

Note $2.4 per pound to buy vs $5 per pound to make using swg/inefficient pool pump combo

Calculation
from Pinch Penney pool store
$2.4 per pound of chlorine (from 2.5 gal of 10% chlorine at $5 per yellow jug)

from two intex/pool pump/electricity
$5 per pound of chlorine (from 1.2 lb per 24 hours or 24 x $0.25 electricity = $6
or $5 per pound to make my chlorine via swg/pool pump)

20180714_180315m.jpg

Documentation Note (been posting across time for my own record keeping): I am on two intex swg system for four years and going on five. I did not expect this setup would last this long and had been eyeballing a Circupool sj-40 (seems to be $200 higher from the last time I looked).... Via amazon or walmart there is no means of ordering a replacment intex swg at reasonable cost. Don't know if its due the corona virus, trade war, shortages of parts etc....

However, the setup going strong. One plastic housing holding the plates together is beginning to deteriorate.. .I have cables ties on them. I just did vinegar cleaning of the plates.
See picture below for condition of the electrode assembly..... cable ties on red area

salt.PNG

Reactions: Mdragger88
It’s interesting u should post- your original post on this thread is what led me to the setup i have now - 2 intex swg’s. I have 2 returns so i have one on each return for my 33k gal pool. One of mine is on its 3rd season ( i used it on my previous smaller pool) the other is on its 2nd season. I was able to procure my units at a discount cost off season. I’m sure when this “pool fever”runs its course costs will come back down & availability will come back.
I went looking around on the intex website the other & noticed they have quite a few replacement parts so that may be an avenue for u. I intend to keep my setup as long as possible.
It has been monetarily worth the minor work arounds.
Great luck to u with your set up!

It’s interesting u should post- your original post on this thread is what led me to the setup i have now - 2 intex swg’s. I have 2 returns so i have one on each return for my 33k gal pool. One of mine is on its 3rd season ( i used it on my previous smaller pool) the other is on its 2nd season. I was able to procure my units at a discount cost off season. I’m sure when this “pool fever”runs its course costs will come back down & availability will come back.
I went looking around on the intex website the other & noticed they have quite a few replacement parts so that may be an avenue for u. I intend to keep my setup as long as possible.
It has been monetarily worth the minor work arounds.
Great luck to u with your set up!
Nice feedback that someone is making use of this info. thanks. I think you are right, the pandemic is increasing sales of above ground pools (did some googling)... so it is matter of time waiting things out pricing to go back down. I have spare refurb unit in attic (that I bought off ebay at a steal $40) that should let me limp along until next year at if something fails.

Hoping to Buy an Aboveground Pool to Salvage Summer? It May Be Too Late

Pandemic boosts pool industry sales

Last edited:
Doc notes:
Ordered a replacement electrode from Intex Corp. I have been running two units for 4 years. I swapped out one unit with my backup. I noticed the replacement unit produced a significant amout of bubbles compared to the older unit. So I have new electrodes on order for $73. They had been out stock for several months. Decided to grab one to be on safe side. Also concerned about future price hikes.

See SWG Prices
I know I've beat a dead horse over the last couple of years but the raw material prices of SWG components keep on increasing. First it was Ruthenium skyrocketing, now it's Iridium and even the raw titanium plates themselves plus the cost of labor. Depending on what inventory levels manufacturers had some were able to hold off on price increases. Others had to respond by cutting the coating thicknesses on their plates without reducing prices (because how could the consumer possibly know?). Hayward just chose to cut it's warranty from three years to one year as warranties cost money. . At least that is what I'm led to believe. This is a very competitive business and customer service goes a long, long way which is our advantage. Bottom line is that salt cell pricing is going up and inflation is here in the pool supply business.

Running on one unit for 6 hours maintains my chlorine level with newer unit in hot florida summer. Prevous 4 years I have been sloppy in maintaining my water chemistry so must have soaked the unit over dozen and left the CYA level too low. I am estimating based on my experience my setup has 3 years of life...maybe more if I took better care.

intex.PNG

Last edited:
Doc notes:
Ordered a replacement electrode from Intex Corp. I have been running two units for 4 years. I swapped out one unit with my backup. I noticed the replacement unit produced a significant amout of bubbles compared to the older unit. So I have new electrodes on order for $73. They had been out stock for several months. Decided to grab one to be on safe side. Also concerned about future price hikes.

See SWG Prices

Running on one unit for 6 hours maintains my chlorine level with newer unit in hot florida summer. Prevous 4 years I have been sloppy in maintaining my water chemistry so must have soaked the unit over dozen and left the CYA level too low. I am estimating based on my experience my setup has 3 years of life...maybe more if I took better care.

View attachment 162752
I hope your unit lasts- i have a newer version & my “brain” died 😩

Quick status update. Replaced the Titanium Electrode of the 2nd unit In June 2021 (wanted to boost chlorine for the summer... was getting weak). 2nd unit died in July (but found found out that it it was the GCFI plug... put regular plug from home depot since my outlet is already GCFI protected using Leviton 15 Amp 125-Volt Double Pole 3-Wire Grounding Plug, Black-R50-3W101-00E - The Home Depot I think these GCFI plug are common failure)
1630544380528.png
Today Ordered another Titanium Electrode as backup for $74.27 They are back in stock. Concerned about future price increases and have confidence these intex will last long enough to use the backup Electrode before I have to dump the units.I am guessing I will replacing electrodes every 3 years.

Suprisingly Year 5 on my intex so far.

Final note..... Noticed the home depot feedback comments had some one commenting how they replaced GCFI with above plug.. they fit perfectly.... Their picture below:
1630544741210.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.