Mustard Algae? I think!

Jun 10, 2016
burington, nc
I have been trying to get rid of whatever for a week now... I thought it was mustard algae as it looks like sand but puffs up when brushed... it is thicker in some places but always a thing coat all over the bottom and steps. I have SUPER shocked it, brushed it many times, did two waste vacuums and it's better but still showing up and the water is very very cloudy???? Please HELP, I have company coming next week????

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your description does tend to indicate algae, not necessarily mustard algae, but algae nonetheless. To remove algae we at TFP perform a "SLAM" (link below) using regular bleach. But to perform a SLAM, you must have a way to test the water. Do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? If not, that would be step #1 - I recommend the TF-100 for its value (ask for the XL Option and Speed Stir) - link below. The SLAM process is proven to work well if performed as instructed on that page, but you must have the proper test kit. Until then, simply add about 1/2 gallon of bleach to your water each evening, and make sure to remove any chlorine tabs if you have them in the water or chlorinator. Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.