DIY Solar Build Thread with Pics

Am I reading your posts correct when I assume you have an Arduino board interfacing your Goldline 10k sensors? I am interested in monitoring pool temps as well, and was thinking about purchasing a few Goldline temp sensors, so I can integrate that data into my home automation. Instead of spending a fortune on a datanab type controller, I was hoping to go the Arduino route, so if you can share any more details, that would be great!

I haven't monitored the goldline sensors specifically with the arduino yet but I am now using 10k thermistors which are the goldline style and they are working well. I am actually working on a complete home automation package with the pool automation being just part 1, but the project is going to have a lot of "open source"ness to it so I will divulge a lot of detail for the DIY'ers out there. It's not finished yet though. It doesn't sound like my project will help you that much as my arduino firmware is designed to work specifically with my home automation controller and there is a checksum that must be produced that your home automation controller may not be able to do. It of course can be modified though.

Which sensors did you use, and how did you mount them? I was thinking about going the 1-wire route (linear would be a lot easier to deal with), but am concerned about environmental/mounting issues etc.

For the pool plumbing I cut the plumbing and inserted a tee and then made a sensor housing with a stainless brake line but I think switching to the goldline style "drill a hole and put the sensor in" might be the best thing to do in the long run. On the roof side sensor just sits on the roof, ziptied to the collector.

I tried installing my Sungrabber panels today, but ran into a little snag. I am using 1-1/2" flexible PVC hose (similar to Tigerflex), but I can't figure out how to attach it to the panels. They tell you to use hose clamps, but you obviously can't squeeze that kind of PVC pipe, so the fit is very loose. Do you have close up pictures of that connection, and details on the hardware you used? I don't want to glue my panels to the line (assuming I purchased a reducer/adapter) since I need to be able to bring it inside for the winter (they are just sitting on the ground).

If anyone else has any input, please do share, as I was hoping to finish this today :(

looper said:
I tried installing my Sungrabber panels today, but ran into a little snag. I am using 1-1/2" flexible PVC hose (similar to Tigerflex), but I can't figure out how to attach it to the panels. They tell you to use hose clamps, but you obviously can't squeeze that kind of PVC pipe, so the fit is very loose. Do you have close up pictures of that connection, and details on the hardware you used? I don't want to glue my panels to the line (assuming I purchased a reducer/adapter) since I need to be able to bring it inside for the winter (they are just sitting on the ground).

If anyone else has any input, please do share, as I was hoping to finish this today :(

1 1/2" Flex to 1 1/2" barb coupler to 1 1/2" hose (make sure to get high pressure) to panel is how I did mine when I had them on the ground. I also had 2" styrofoam underneath.

The manufacturer just told me that they didn't use FlexPVC (as in TigerFlex), but just regular flexible pool hose. The pictures in the manual seem to use that kind of hose as well, but I can't imagine using something like that on a 24/7 basis. I have been trying to locate pictures of that connection, but haven't found any good ones yet.

Ok, in case anyone ever runs into this (since I couldn't find this explained anywhere). I guess you have to use the cheap/low quality 'flexible hose' (not the heavy duty TigerFlex) Home Depot/Lowes sells. Lowes had it in their pool section (I purchased the 5' length for $6), and you can find that barb valve right in that same section (you will not find it with the schedule 40 hardware). Not sure how long this hose will last, but it should work. Hope this will help someone else in the future.

The 'coupler' they provide to hook up more panels is a radiator hose according to SunGrabber, so I guess something like that would work too.

So I hooked everything up, and it looks like Murphy is watching me. One of the new panels has a tiny leak (ordered the repair kit from SunGrabber), and the flex hose connection onto the barbed valve is leaking too. It's as tight as I can get it, but it isn't enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to address this? I guess I could maybe glue it, but am hoping there is a less permanent fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just as a quick follow up, that flexible hose I got from Lowes didn't last long and sprung leaks at the end of the season last year. Since I have to redo my setup anyways (they are on the ground now, want to put them on a stand), I'll try to come up with a better solution, but I recommend you shut down the solar panels if you go on long trips, or you might come back to an empty pool (when using this type of hose that is) ;)

I really feel like the best solution is to slice the first 4-8 rows of each panel at the ends and install the rubber plugs they send in the plug kit. You lose some heating but it's insurance against leaks. I've identified all of my leaks again, which I was able to do pretty effectively by partially blocking the output and increasing the pressure in the system. This caused a beautiful fountain on my roof and I identified 12 leaks to patch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.