FC Test question about turning pink with K-2006 kit

callmedpit

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2014
Millersville, MD
I am in the process of a SLAM and my FC test is doing something I've not experienced before. I add the powder, water turns pink (10ml). As I add drops of R-0871 it starts to clear up, but after a few drops, the water may go clear while I'm swirling, but goes back to just barely pink if I let it sit. In the past, it's always gotten clearer and then all the sudden clear with progression. Now I seem to be sort of stuck in this not totally clear phase.

I saw a post about some bad batch of regeant, but mine is not from that batch (brand new kit purchased from in the swim).

Is this normal, it seems awfully difficult to get a clear FC reading...

What do you think your FC level is? How much powder are you using?
If you have high CC, it can bleed into the FC right after the sample goes clear.

I thought my FC was 1.5 earlier today before SLAM. The same test, CC was 5.0. I added 5 gallons of bleach to bring the FC to 22. I'm using 2 heaping scoops of powder. Is a 5.0 CC high enough that it can bleed into the FC? If so, how do I accurately do the SLAM process here as it's difficult to maintain without knowing the benchmark.

5ppm of CC is VERY high (and unusual).
What is your CYA level? Did you add any?

Just add drops until the water goes clear (call that FC). Add the 5 drops of R-0003, and count drops for the CC.

5ppm of CC is VERY high (and unusual).
What is your CYA level? Did you add any?

My CYA was under 30 after the opening, so I added it via Clorox Stabilizer and some trichlor pucks. Now it's at about 55-60.

Just add drops until the water goes clear (call that FC). Add the 5 drops of R-0003, and count drops for the CC.

So even though I can't get it stay fully clear, basically once it goes clear during a swirl, use that number to get the FC? Because if I swirl and then let it sit for like 2 seconds, it loses its full clarity.

Also, for what it's worth, the pool itself is crystal clear.

Ok thanks for your help. And then in this early SLAM process, how often should I really be testing and how quickly can I expect the FC to dissipate? If I'm adding enough FC to maintain 22ppm and I had 5.0 CC, does it typically drop the FC down to 10ppm within X hours as an example? Any guidelines would be helpful :D

- - - Updated - - -

And side question, how in the heck did my CC get so high? I keep my pool covered and have it professional opened/closed. Even before they open, the water is pretty clean.

You could test every hour or so at the start.

High CC is odd, sometimes due to CYA conversion to ammonia over the winter (which is why I asked about your CYA level before you started).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.