Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash area/pit

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash area/pit

Does anyone have pictures or links to backwash pit ideas.

We live in Az and they won't let us pipe it to the street. We have a very narrow side yard. I want it to wash to an area that we can see..so we know if the water is clear or not.

I'm assuming it will have to be very deep since we can't make it very wide. Perhaps we can put a grate across so that we can still walk across it.

NO clue here. We've been backwashing less and less because it's such a backwashing nightmare.
    10,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool. 1 HP AO Smith Corp motor 3450 rpm, Nautilus Pac Fab Filter DE. Raypak Gas Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

This is much easier to do if it is not visible. One common approach is to dig a pit, line it with landscapers cloth (lets water through but not dirt), fill with gravel, run a pipe into there, top with more landscapers cloth, and then cover with topsoil.

I suppose you could leave the top open and cover with a grate, but you need to be careful to not let too much dirt get in over time.

You can get clear sections of pipe which can be put in the backwash line near the main valve to allow you to see how the water looks. That is generally much simpler than watching the outlet, which will no doubt be some distance away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, and welcome! Yay, another member from Arizona! I'm in Phoenix.

Put a site glass in your line near the filter, so you'll be able to see the water. Also, I believe the city of Scottsdale may allow you to plumb to your sewer cleanout on your own property. You may want to check to be sure but this is a link I found from the city of Scottsdale.
    City of Scottsdale swimming pool code info
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK: Buggs, I think you're doing some sort of illegal recruiting of Arizona members. Us Texans are gonna have to put a stop to that! HIJACK OVER

Welcome Scottsdale,
    Sorry I can't be of much help other than to encourage you to stay with us! There are a lot of helpful people around here.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Hehehehe! I'm trying my darnedest. 'cause I know we gotta have a whole lot more pools in Arizona than Texas, any ol' day.
    <ducking>
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Ok, we don't have hardly ANY pools up here, but we do have over 10,000 lakes. I'm gonna try and recruit too. lol.

The site glass glass works great for this. Must be a way to install at your outlet?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!