Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

1. Back To Top    #1

I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

Hello again,

My pool floor drain has what looks like a shower head with 3 triangles in it(picture the radiation symbol), I will take a picture of it when it stops raining.

I have 1 skimmer & 1 floor drain & I think the floor drain is plugged or turned off at the drain, only 1 line comes out of the ground to the pump.

When I cover the skimmer drain with my hand the pump looses all water, so I think the floor drain is plugged, BUT I am able to turn the drain cover around with the net handle.

At one time did they make on/off floor drains?

I am thinking of turning off the return line valve at the pump & sticking one of those clog busters into the skimmer drain & trying to clear the floor drain that way

Is that a good idea?

TIA

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

Bob,

The main drain may be plumbed into the skimmer. Do you have one or two holes in the bottom of the skimmer?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

duraleigh,

you are DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My skimmer had a bunch of sand in it from blind vacuuming when the pool was green, so after your post I shut off the pump & took a good look & sure enough there is a small valve in there, had the wife come out & watch what happened at the pump when i turned the lever(I had the valve on recirculate) & BAM pine needles & sand shot out of the return & a bunch of gravel & assorted **** filled the pump basket.

Flow to the skimmer went down dramaticly yet I still had full volume of water to the pump.

My pool will be totally clear tomorrow morning!

I can not thank you enough, if I had paid a pool company $200+ to turn that valve for me---%$#& *^%$#@

If it wasn't for this forum I would be complaining about how tired I am from filling in the pool in.

Thanks again

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4