Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

1. Back To Top    #1

I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

Hello again,

My pool floor drain has what looks like a shower head with 3 triangles in it(picture the radiation symbol), I will take a picture of it when it stops raining.

I have 1 skimmer & 1 floor drain & I think the floor drain is plugged or turned off at the drain, only 1 line comes out of the ground to the pump.

When I cover the skimmer drain with my hand the pump looses all water, so I think the floor drain is plugged, BUT I am able to turn the drain cover around with the net handle.

At one time did they make on/off floor drains?

I am thinking of turning off the return line valve at the pump & sticking one of those clog busters into the skimmer drain & trying to clear the floor drain that way

Is that a good idea?

TIA

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

Bob,

The main drain may be plumbed into the skimmer. Do you have one or two holes in the bottom of the skimmer?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I think floor drain is blocked-skimmer drain works

duraleigh,

you are DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My skimmer had a bunch of sand in it from blind vacuuming when the pool was green, so after your post I shut off the pump & took a good look & sure enough there is a small valve in there, had the wife come out & watch what happened at the pump when i turned the lever(I had the valve on recirculate) & BAM pine needles & sand shot out of the return & a bunch of gravel & assorted **** filled the pump basket.

Flow to the skimmer went down dramaticly yet I still had full volume of water to the pump.

My pool will be totally clear tomorrow morning!

I can not thank you enough, if I had paid a pool company $200+ to turn that valve for me---%$#& *^%$#@

If it wasn't for this forum I would be complaining about how tired I am from filling in the pool in.

Thanks again

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4