New filter, new pump, can't get pool to not be cloudy blue.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must always be kept above minimum for the pool to be safely sanitized, especially with kids. They are much more susceptible to person to person disease transmission in an unsanitary pool.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
And the water is clear

Chlorine does not sting people's eyes, CC does. CC occurs most in pools without enough chlorine in them. Adding 1500-2000 ppm of salt to the pool will make it much more comfortable for their eyes.

So I went back to the pool store just for grins and giggles. They said I had to raise my alkalinity levels which I'm not sure is accurate. Out of curiosity I talked to one of the more senior guys and he insist that you just have to shock your pool every two weeks and that putting chlorine in on a periodic basis is not sufficient. I don't understand what he's talking about because isn't shocking your pool nothing more than bringing the chlorine level up to a certain Higher Point and wouldn't putting chlorine in on a daily basis just keep the levels of bad things in your pool low all the time?

Stay away from the pool stores, follow the advice here "to the letter" read Pool School, focus on the SLAM first and follow it to conclusion and your water will be sparkly clear, I am currently doing a slam myself and got off track and did not keep my FC high enough so I speak from experience. It will work, it just may take more time than we like.

Please also update your with the type of pool, size in gallons, equip etc. It will help us help you better :)

I was just curious. So just so I am clear.

If I maintain my free chlorine and know my CYA levels, in theory I would never shock my pool if I stayed in that range?

That is correct. There are many, many folks here who have not shocked their pools in years. I SLAMed my pool in 2012 and again last summer for a bit because I got a little lazy.

More here on what to put in your signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

so i had to use two bags of 'shock' with stabilizer in it today because the weekend got away from me and i didnt acquire any liquid chlorine.

my wife was powerwashing the patio around the pool and some junk got into the pool. i got most of it out of the pool via net + hand held electric vac + tigershark cleaner, but that plus first time using it in the past 3 days + sun, figured i shouldnt let it go.

now my 3rd problem of the year - it looks like i am losing water.

i had a rip last year (2 places actually). It seems like maybe the spot where one of it was fixed might be leaking water.

I wonder if when i lowered the water in my pool if it somehow caused the liner to pull in that specific spot and caused the patch to be messed up. i know people say hardness doesn't matter, but could it possibly matter for patches being more brittle?

gonna have to call the guy who fixed it last year back. looks like i lost a full inch in about 24 hours.

That is correct. There are many, many folks here who have not shocked their pools in years. I SLAMed my pool in 2012 and again last summer for a bit because I got a little lazy.

More here on what to put in your signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thanks, very interesting. I am not sure if I can be as diligent as you guys. Plus there will be time in the summer where I am simply not home for a week.

I updated my signature, hope I got everything now.

Once you get everything squared away it gets a lot easier. I have my bleach additions automated with a Stenner pump, but I have friends who travel a lot who just leave partial jugs of chlorine pre-measured on the back deck. They have a neighbor who walks around their house each day and just pours one in the pool.

There are many ways to work out the issues, you just have to think outside the box a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you get everything squared away it gets a lot easier. I have my bleach additions automated with a Stenner pump, but I have friends who travel a lot who just leave partial jugs of chlorine pre-measured on the back deck. They have a neighbor who walks around their house each day and just pours one in the pool.

There are many ways to work out the issues, you just have to think outside the box a little.

Just to be clear, I have an off line chlorinator already. Do you guys use liquid chlorine in addition to the tabs or do you advocate against the tabs entirely because the addition of CYA?

We are against having your CYA higher than it needs to be. Therefore, once your CYA level reaches your target level it is necessary to stop using pucks to stop adding CYA to the pool. Some folks will intentionally leave CYA lower so that they can use pucks on vacation.

As Tim said, once you get the process dialed in it is very easy to maintain your pool. We take 2 to 3 week+ vacations every summer and I don't let anyone near my pool. I am able to dial in my saltwater chlorine generator and get everything just right to be gone 10ish days with my pool unattended.

We are against having your CYA higher than it needs to be. Therefore, once your CYA level reaches your target level it is necessary to stop using pucks to stop adding CYA to the pool. Some folks will intentionally leave CYA lower so that they can use pucks on vacation.

As Tim said, once you get the process dialed in it is very easy to maintain your pool. We take 2 to 3 week+ vacations every summer and I don't let anyone near my pool. I am able to dial in my saltwater chlorine generator and get everything just right to be gone 10ish days with my pool unattended.

so i always heard the debate about SWG vs traditional chlorine (skin/water feeling better, etc.). Both are producing chlorine, but it seems with a SWG you can be more hands off? Do SWG measure and adjust the amount of chlorine generation or are they simply another means to put chlorine in (via salt) just like an offline chlroinator w/ tabs and a dial to state the flow amount?

It is basically the same idea as the chlorinator. Set the SWG to a runtime and percentage of generation and it will produce the same amount of chlorine every day. As chlorine demand increases you can increase run time or percentage. A Stenner or Liquidator chlorine dosing system works pretty much the same way. Except you have to fill the tank with chlorine/bleach. Once you get to a reasonably steady state it pretty hands free all summer other than accounting for additional swimmer load for parties or big swim days.

There is no system (yet?) that measures FC and doses to keep it at say 5 ppm. Feel free to invent that and I will buy one! :)

Salt softens the water and can be added to any pool with or without SWG.

It is basically the same idea as the chlorinator. Set the SWG to a runtime and percentage of generation and it will produce the same amount of chlorine every day. As chlorine demand increases you can increase run time or percentage. A Stenner or Liquidator chlorine dosing system works pretty much the same way. Except you have to fill the tank with chlorine/bleach. Once you get to a reasonably steady state it pretty hands free all summer other than accounting for additional swimmer load for parties or big swim days.

There is no system (yet?) that measures FC and doses to keep it at say 5 ppm. Feel free to invent that and I will buy one! :)

Salt softens the water and can be added to any pool with or without SWG.

as yes, the elusive pool boy tool. sends your robotic cleaner when it detects dirt, goes back home to charge otherwise. Measures FC and other key points every hour and micro adjusts chemicals needed while also turning on/off filter accordingly

i will start inventing it now :p

So got my vinyl liner repaired, a previous tear had extended beyond the existing patch and had another gash nearby.

Prior to adding about ~2 inches of water:

ph: 7.4
FC: 4
CC: 0.5
I assume my CYA is still around 60 - how often do I need to measure it?

recognizing my FC has dropped lower than it probably should be for my CYA, I added 1 gallon of chlorine 12.5%

I am trying to find out where I do the calculation of how much chlorine to add in order to raise my FC by X amount....did i miss where that is?

The CYA test is usually done about once a month just to make sure what level you're at..

I thought you have been using poolmath :) here ya go http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

scroll to the bottom and input
tfp
vinyl
bleach

fill in your gallons on the top

in the now column put your tests from today
in the target put your SLAM FC target

once you start the SLAM only test for FC and CC until you pass OCLT below :)

The CYA test is usually done about once a month just to make sure what level you're at..

I thought you have been using poolmath :) here ya go http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

scroll to the bottom and input
tfp
vinyl
bleach

fill in your gallons on the top

in the now column put your tests from today
in the target put your SLAM FC target

once you start the SLAM only test for FC and CC until you pass OCLT below :)

hm, i thought i was done with the SLAM. I have to perform the OCLT, but because of water loss/water adds and just timing, I haven't been able to do so with accuracy. I wanted to get out there this morning just to see where the FC is after adding the 128oz of liquid chlorine, but work is tying me up meeting to meeting :(

im going to test at lunch and then begin the OCLT tonight and run it for 2 or 3 days to ensure it remains steady.

also, for the OCLT what is the recommend duration of "overnight" for some of us who go to bed late and wake up early, that could be as few as 6 or 7 hours. Is that a sufficient interval?

that is fine, I have checked at 9pm and 5 AM.. Your just looking for over 0.5 FC loss so if at 10 fc at 9pm and at 5 am your at 8 fc your not done with that SLAM, but if your at 10FC or 9.5 FC at 5am your good :)

that is fine, I have checked at 9pm and 5 AM.. Your just looking for over 0.5 FC loss so if at 10 fc at 9pm and at 5 am your at 8 fc your not done with that SLAM, but if your at 10FC or 9.5 FC at 5am your good :)

ok, just did my "mid-day post 128oz prior night chlorine check" to use as a comparison for my first OCLT check tonight.

FC: 7.5
CC: 0 to 0.5
pH: 7.4-ish
CYA: somewhere between 50-60. i have looked at the CYA pictures but the more i stare at the black dot, the more i feel like i can eventually see it. i wish there was a video showing the moment in which it is considered "disappeared" from view.

will check to see if stable tonight and then again tomorrow morning.

pool is crystal clear with just some tiny "dirt" around the deep end edges and a few spots in the shallow end. used the electric vac to suck it up

- - - Updated - - -

PS: this is my backhose connection...which adaptor do i need for using a fire hose without clamps?
View attachment 50228

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.