Heat Siphon heat pump bypass necessary?

FirstVallartaPool

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2016
Puerto Vallarta mexico
I'm about to move and replumb some of our equipment and was convinced I should put a bypass on the heatpump as it is only used here 2 months a year at most. But on speaking with Sue at heat siphon (the companies very friendly and knowledgeable tech person) said a bypass is not necessary as they use titanium and full flow through design so chemicals have no effect on the unit. She said I could put one in but totally up to me.
So I'm leaning to leaving it out (heat pump hasn't had one for 10 years and running fine).
What do you think?
G.

I am about to install a heat pump and I am planning to install a bypass for a couple of reasons. They reduce efficiency and water flow when not in use, might as well bypass it when not in use. We're in the same position as you, won't use the heater a lot more months then we will use it. If the heater fails/leaks for whatever reason then it is easy to bypass it and work on the heater.

OK thanks that was my initial instinct. I am going to mock up the current configuration and post it here for any suggestions on the new plumbing layout. The main reason for moving the heat pump is to allow full air escape on top as we have redesigned the above deck and the heater needs to be moved by about 2 feet.

OK thanks that was my initial instinct. I am going to mock up the current configuration and post it here for any suggestions on the new plumbing layout. The main reason for moving the heat pump is to allow full air escape on top as we have redesigned the above deck and the heater needs to be moved by about 2 feet.

I installed a Heat Siphon Z575HC in Central Florida early 2012. Direct plumbed everything with no bypass. All is perfect. No need for bypass.

Best...

Tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.