Help Balance Pool

May 21, 2016
Boise
First, new to TFP and second year with my pool.
I was using the pool store for levels, but recently purchased a Taylor K-2006 as they were not successful in getting my water crystal clear. Still has a slight cloudiness to it and they said it was my combine chlorine. After two rounds of them attempting to lower my combine chlorine and still not successful my Taylor test kit finally showed up.
Current levels:
Free Chlorine .6
Combine Chlorine 4.0
pH 7.2
Total Alkalinity 130
CYA 70
Calcium Hardness 130

Now trying to figure out where to start.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
Now trying to figure out where to start.
Start to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You must have a basic understanding of the chemistry in order to learn how to manage those numbers so you pool is/stays crystal clear.

First, my Combine Chlorine was typed incorrectly as it's currently 2.6. My apologies, but I have been running tests over this past week and referenced the wrong number.....need to start a new pad of paper.
I have read the ABC's as well as familiarizing myself with the pool calculator.
I guess my question on where to start is lowering CYA or slamming? Again, first time trying to get my numbers correct and don't want to cause me more pain down the road.
To SLAM if I am understanding the pool math correctly I would have a Shock value of 28 which would be just under 11 gallons of bleach (assume FC increase of 2.6/gallon of bleach (8.25%)

Looks like you are understanding. I think in my post above somehow I thought I read 90 CYA and not 70.

You are correct on the 28 for slam. If you are plugging you now and target numbers into pool math then what it tells you will get you to your target. Just make sure you put the correct % bleach or liquid chlorine you are using. But that sounds about right (I didn't plug all your numbers myself)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.