Phosphate problem

Free Chlorine - 0.01
Total Chlorine - 0.04
Combined - 0.03
We can help a little bit. Those numbers are completely bogus but it does tell me you have essentially no chlorine in the pool and thus are subject to algae,

I would suggest that each evening (until your kit arrive), that you put in one Large jug of Clorox (I think it's about 120 oz) pout it all in slowly in front of an active return so it spreads nicely and you are done. Don't test for it or anything.....this is a holding pattern until you get your kit.

So, one large jug of chlorine each evening. get the kit in and then post up the results of all the tests in the kits. Your eyes will be opened wide when you find out just how much YOU can manage your pool.....you'll never be in the pool store again.

I added this to my signiture earlier. Free Form inground 20k gallon pool with Pool pilot DIG-220 salt system, STA-RITE system 3 S7M120 pool filter, Polaris 360, Intellipro variable speed P6E6VS4H pump, an electric heater and Aqualink RS power center.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know what they added when they open the pool, I have added salt support, 2 bags of salt and some a gallon of acid this year. and maybe some calcium up. I just want the pool safe for the kids asap. Is getting hot out here. lol

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Clorox Bleach? Regular bleach?

Just an FYI, My pump is always running, between 1800 and 2200 rpms.

Regular (generic) bleach is fine. Just make sure it's NOT splashless or scented. Just plain. Adding that one gallon to the pool each evening as Dave suggested will help to keep algae away until your test kit arrives. Pour slowly near your return jets while the pump is running.

I added this to my signiture earlier. Free Form inground 20k gallon pool with Pool pilot DIG-220 salt system, STA-RITE system 3 S7M120 pool filter, Polaris 360, Intellipro variable speed P6E6VS4H pump, an electric heater and Aqualink RS power center.

You forgot whether it is vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass. This is very important because we don't want to tell you to add so much bleach that you fade a vinyl liner. Plaster won't care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went through all of the pool school articles, set up the calculator and all Was very interesting. Trying to remember all of the abbreviations will take time. Same as the chemistry. Ordered my test kit and it shipped today. Going to add bleach tonight. Crossing fingers and trying to have patients. You all have been very helpful and I thank you. Hopefully the pool store will take the chemicals back. If not, if anyone wants I have for sale. :p Lol

Hi all,
I added 1 126 oz bottle of Clorox and woke up to a crystal clear pool. My test kit should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Dying to see results. Wondering if I should put more in tonight or not??
yes, one bottle per day until we get test results. Chlorine is a consumable item. You need to add it every day.

Based on your CC of 2, your low FC, and now CYA, I have a feeling you may have a SLAM ahead of you. How does your water look? One thing for sure .. you need CYA. For a SWG pool, your CYA should be up to 70. But if you SLAM you should only increase CYA to 30 to use less bleach. So I'll recommend this for today:
- Increase CYA to 30, then increase FC to about 6 for today. Do an overnight (OCLT) tonight to see if you lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight. If you do - SLAM (link below)
- If you pass the OCLT tomorrow, then increase CYA to 70 and continue to watch the FC to ensure it stays around 5.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Ok, here is what I don't understand. My pool is now crystal clear and has been for days ever since adding the 1st treatment of bleach 4 nights ago. When reading about slam, it looks to me I need to do a slam to clear up the pool. There is nothing there to clean up. It sparkles. Should I do I boost on my salt generator to maybe get the chlorine up? What can I add to get cya up? Also the charts that show in the slam have stars next to 60 and says do not do slam.
So what do I do??

Thanks,
Joe

Pretty much do what your told and relax. These guy are saving you 1000s of dollars right now. Get to know how to use your test kit, pool calculator and chemicals and your pretty much an expert.

You will need to SLAM your pool. Add stabilizer, bleach to start the slam.

It is safe to swim in your pool right now. I think you can swim all the way up to SLAM levels.

Based on your CC of 2, your low FC, and now CYA, I have a feeling you may have a SLAM ahead of you. How does your water look? One thing for sure .. you need CYA. For a SWG pool, your CYA should be up to 70. But if you SLAM you should only increase CYA to 30 to use less bleach. So I'll recommend this for today:
- Increase CYA to 30, then increase FC to about 6 for today. Do an overnight (OCLT) tonight to see if you lose more than 1 ppm of FC overnight. If you do - SLAM (link below)
- If you pass the OCLT tomorrow, then increase CYA to 70 and continue to watch the FC to ensure it stays around 5.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Visible algae is only 1 type of problem. High CC indicate other issues.

Follow the SLAM process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. Should be quick.

Stabilizer is used to raise the CYA. Have you read the ABCs and recommended pool chemicals articles in Pool School.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.