I don't have eyeballs ... on my returns :)

tj_royersford said:
But I don't have eyeballs, just two pipes/holes in the gunite/plaster wall.

I'm responding to your return outlets, not to your original question.
My pool is also an old fashioned pool and the returns are just simple pipe ends with no threads. I've learned that general pool health depends a lot on good circulation. I installed eyeballs by connecting available threaded parts and eyeballs to a PVC tubing which I pressure - fitted into the return pipe ends. I had to grind down the PVC tubing that goes in, but this wasn't too difficult. You can achieve realively tight fitting using teflon tape. Now I can direct the eyeballs to optimal position and I noticed an increase in water quality and general pool health. The only negative part is that the gadgets extend out about 6" and bathers have to watch them and not to bump into them.
IMO your 30k pool can benefit from a better circulation. Just my 2Cs.

Thanks for the tip. So far the circulation seems good - I also have 4 floor returns in addition to the two wall returns. Any tips on how to judge the circulation? I don't seem to notice any "accumulation areas" on the floor other than along the inside corners at the bottom of each step.

All four are on the bottom. The plumbing is arranged like the number 6 on dice: 2 drains in the deep end and four floor returns.
Here's my crude ASCII sketch:

O o o w
O o o w

Where the O's are the main drains, the o's are the floor returns, and the w's are the wall returns in the shallow end. I've haven't verified the movement near the floor returns this year, next time the kids are in I'll send one down to investigate with a foot. Water's still too chilly for my taste :)

Do the floor returns pop up when they get water?

Sounds alot like my in-floor cleaning system. I have about 8 jets that pop up out of the floor. First the two in the shallow end pop up, then the middle, and so on towards the deep end where the main drain is located.
Each time they pop up, they point a different direction (except two in the deep end which always point towards the drain).

Or, it could be something completely different! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.