Newbie First Time Test Results - May have serious CYA problem

Thanks for your replies about my testing method - I'm feeling a little more confident now. I also reread the Extended Testing Directions which was helpful.

Here are the results from my OCLT:

10:00 pm last night - FC - 8 (CC - 3)
8:00 am this morning - FC - 7.5 (CC - 3)

So I feel like my FC reading is okay. I know the test doesn't call for CC reading, but I figured I may as well run it too. Not sure what, if anything, that number really says. Water is still nice and clear. I didn't run the other tests yet today, but will if necessary.

It's great that you only lost .5 ppm on your overnight FC test. But the CC, if it was done correctly, it way too high over the 0.5 ppm limit. So if that was performed accurately, it's telling us you have an excessive amount of organic material in your water that cannot, or has not yet, been oxidized. Did you perform that CC test immediately after the FC test and/or have anything unusual happen? Are you pretty confident the CC is actually 3ppm?

Also, how does the water and pool surfaces look?

It's great that you only lost .5 ppm on your overnight FC test. But the CC, if it was done correctly, it way too high over the 0.5 ppm limit. So if that was performed accurately, it's telling us you have an excessive amount of organic material in your water that cannot, or has not yet, been oxidized. Did you perform that CC test immediately after the FC test and/or have anything unusual happen? Are you pretty confident the CC is actually 3ppm?

Also, how does the water and pool surfaces look?

Yes, I performed the CC test immediately after the FC test. I'm actually a little more confident on the CC results, because it goes clear and stays clear unlike the FC test. The pool looks great, water is clear. The only problem now is the rust around the top of the coping which we get every year. Planning on starting another thread with pictures on that later - my husband has sanded that strip down to bare metal twice now, and it returns every year!

What can I do about the CC results? Do I need to do a SLAM?

With a CC of 3 I would SLAM for sure. I wouldn't even get in a pool that had a CC of 1.0 or higher

Really?!? My husband and I were going to hang out on the rafts and sip margaritas all day! We figured since we used to swim the the Ohio River, we'd be okay even if the levels were off. HaHa. What are the implications from a high CC?

It's your ... health so do what you want. However, 3.0 CC is pretty dang high, and indicates either an algae bloom loading up or a dead animal, or very naughty children.

Yuck! Didn't know what the high number meant. Looks like I'm going to start my SLAM today.
Pause for a moment...

At the very beginning, you wrote "As per pool store added on bottle of algaecide and 4 bags of shock."

What kind of "shock"? If you still have the empty bags, or the receipt or just remember, was it dichlor or trichlor or Cal-hypo or something else? Some of those something elses are "Non-chlorine" and contain Monopersulfate which can give a false CC reading. Just something to take into account. I'd hate to see you SLAM for days unable to be rid of the CC when it turns out there never was any.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still have a couple of bags. Added 4 bags when we opened on Sunday. It is:

Cal-hypo-68%
other-32%
total available chlorine 65%
Well, shoot. Can't blame the CC on the shock. Something's growing in there.

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.