What is the correct pump and filter size needed

May 22, 2016
Exira, iowa
I am replacing the pump and sand filter that came with my intex 16x32 ag pool. My pool holds about 16,000 gals. The pump is cracked and leaking and didn't really work very well from the beginning. After some research I have thought about purchasing a 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump with the medium sized cartridge filter. Although it's a bit more than I wanted to spend, as long as it's what my pool needs to stay clean, it's worth it. I need to know if this is the correct system for my pool. Also does anyone know if I will need to purchase new hoses that go to and from the pool or will the existing ones work? There are so many options out there and it's been a bit overwhelming, to say the least! Ha! Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :)

That pump is pretty big and a power hog for what you need... We love to do 2 speed pumps as it will use 1/3 of the power on low and pump 1/2 the water, win win...

most people stay with the intex pumps but just go to a bigger pump, sand filter, and SWG like this.. this system will be easier because the SWG is creating chlorine for you.. it is right at the 15k gallons so it will work but not very good, probably not what you want...
Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden

This one is the bigger pump and filter
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Filter-Ground-110-120V/dp/B00GSPHS7E/ref=sr_1_12?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1463918252&sr=1-12&keywords=intex+pool

You can go to a hard pipe pump and filter, (that is what I have) bigger is better for filters and pumps you want in the 3/4 hp to 1hp range
Amazon.com : 1 HP 2-Speed 3450/1725 RPM, 115 volts Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway brand - With large Debris Ba : Swimming And Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

If you want 1 system here is a 1 hp with 19 sand filter that would work good
Amazon.com : Best Choice Products® Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System 4500GPH 19 Garden

With all that said, I have the same exact pool and went with this setup, it has no issues at all but I did add a SWG to it..
Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 Square Foot In Ground Cartridge Pool Filter - 160340 : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden
CircuPool® SJ-40 Salt Pool System

Here is my build thread, on page 2 you can see how I piped it in, if you want this type of setup it is really easy once you get into it
New above ground oval 18x33 install

The funny thing is I still have the pump and filter that came with this pool in my garage unopened...

I hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.