Dirt and massive water loss

May 19, 2016
Allentown, NJ
Hello,

I am losing water at about 1" per day from my in ground pool. Also, when the pump is on, dirt is coming in. I can't see it but it accumulates overnight. My pool guy said to cap the return line and shut it off at the filter (there are two pipes to filter for 4 lines). He said to use process of elimination, but I am pretty sure I know what side it is on since the yard is very moist in that area.

The sand and laterals were changed last week, so it's not that.

He said that it is a broken return line most likely and this will put a band aid on it. The water drops even if equipment is turned off. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Travis

Hi Travis and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sorry it has to be under these circumstances. A water leak is one thing, seeing dirt with it is another. For now, I'm leaning towards the suction side. If you have a suction pipe leak bad enough, not only can air enter and water escape, but it might pull (suck) in dirt as well. If a pipe ruptures on the pressure side, typically it will just flood the area and continue to push water and dirt away from the pipe. But that's my initial thought.

Now I will ask this .... did you have the dirt problem before changing the sand/laterals last week? If not, the dirt might just be the sand anyways, and the leak is a totally separate issue. For the leak specifically, I would start by isolating each side of the pool (suction & pressure). Close one then the other for a while to see if you can figure-out which side a leak may be on. Then go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.