Bleach question

Apr 15, 2016
Seven Valleys, Pa
I have access to very cheap 5.25% bleach. It says on the bottles that it is a disinfectant, sanitizer, germicide, deodorizer. Not sure if this is safe to use in my pool or if it has other ingredients present that aren't going to work in pool. My pool construction is beginning in a few weeks and just doing my homework here on Tfp which is why I don't have my info loaded. I will try to include pic of bleach bottles but can't find where to insert a pic from my phone. Thank you for any help

Thank you guys very much for the responses! It list active ingredient as Sodium Hypochlorite 5.25%
Other Ingredients 94.75%
It is labeled as First Mark Bleach with first mark being the manufacturer. Lists Germacide, disinfectant, sanitizer, deodorizer, I believe just cause that's the uses of bleach. Doesn't say anything about scented or outdoor bleach. It is sold to restraunts by commercial sales companies. Will see if I can add pic from my computer, mobile site doesn't seem to let me.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Well, it looks like it may be fine. Bleach is one of those products that is readily available at a lot of places, so if you have a Wal-Mart or something I know you can get more there. FYI - I can get bleach at Wal-Mart (Great Value) for $2.94 a gallon, and it's stronger (8.25%). So make sure you're getting a good value for your money.

Make sure your new found bleach is as strong as it lists (5.25%). Test your FC first. Use PoolMath to tell you how much to add to raise your FC by 2 and add that amount. Then wait while it is mixed up by the pump and retest. Did it raise your FC by 2ppm? Then you can decide if its a good bargain.

Keep in mind the weaker the bleach, the more jugs you have to haul. :farao:

As an aside, check the date codes on any bleach or chlorine you buy. In your picture above it shows a date code of 15341 - 341st day of 2015. So it was made in early December of last year. It's presently over 5 months old and may have lost a lot of its listed potency.

I noticed yesterday that one of the local WalMart stores is carrying 10% liquid chlorine (in the pool section) for $2.50, which is a great price according to the calculator. I've never used it though.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.