Upgrading Superflo Motor to Variable Speed Intelliflo

May 23, 2012
Suppose I have the standard Pentair Superflow 1 hp pump, but also the Intellitouch automation center. Can I buy the Intelliflow VS motor and just swap out the motor to make the pump variable speed to save some cash? Could you control the VS motor from the Intellitouch without anything in between?

Why would you? The entire pump costs about the same as just the motor and drive. But you do need both the motor and drive. You could buy the SuperFlo VS and attach it to the exist wet end. But the SuperFlo does not full integrate with the Intellitouch. It will change speeds but you cannot program them from the Intellitouch.

However, there are other retro fit options if you must have a VS. Here is one: A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com

A two speed motor would also work and give you most of the energy savings of a VS at a lower price point.

I found the motor (350105S) for about $400, which is only about $100 more than the 2 speed motor. I was hoping I didn't need the drive if I had the Intellitouch and used that to control it. If I need the drive I'll probably just go with the 2 speed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.