Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering New Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering New Pump

Well the darn google search just returns every thread about pumps I've answered, because it finds MY Pump in MY signature.

My 2hp 2-speed HiFlo pump is starting to sound pretty bad. It's in it's 8th season now, we run it on low 24/7 because I never took the time to get a timer and I'm too lazy to walk out back for the on-off.

I see no evidence of leaks or anything, and the flow and function seem fine....it's just getting louder and making a rattling sound now and then. MY SIL replaced their pump last week with a new one (we have same pump) and the new one was so quiet I could hardly hear it. Mine has a definite "hum"....but I'm not certain if that has to do with the way our pumps are mounted, etc. and the equipment pad, etc.

What is the average life expectancy of these Waterway 2 speeds? If it is bad, after 8 years, is it worth it to bother trying to repair, or should I just buy a new one? I doubt that DH has the motor knowledge or skills to tackle this (be quiet Beave ) much less the time.

I'm pretty sure my pump is oversized for my pool, so I think I can downsize to a 1hp or 1.5 hp, but I definitely want the 2 speed again.

What is interesting is there isn't much price difference between the HP sizing - should I just get the same pump? Found one online for around $200.

So what is the guru's recommendation? Replace, downsize?

Thanks to all in advance.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering New Pump

Have you thought about springing for an IntelliFlo? I know they are spendy but I have kinda been waiting for my pump to peter out just so I have an excuse to purchase one of those babies!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump should last longer than 8 years, though there is of couse some variation from pump to pump.

There are a couple of possible things that might be going wrong. I would open up and remove the pump strainer basket and make sure there isn't any debris caught under there that could be bouncing around on the impeller. This isn't especially likely, but it is very simple to check and fix so worth looking into first. It is more likely to be the bearings, and while they can be replaced that isn't usually worth doing on an inexpensive pump.

The way the pump sits on the equipment pad, and how much vibration it can transfer to the other equipment, affects how much noise it makes. Often placing a rubber mat under the pump and using flexible hose for the pump connections to prevent transmission of vibration can reduce the amount of noise it makes.

2 HP is a bit large, though when you are running on low speed it makes much less of a difference. If you do replace it, I would go with a 1 1/2 HP two speed pump.

The IntelliFlo is not ideal for above ground pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason. I'll check the basket, and I'll try the rubber mat. We do have the flexhose. If I notice any improvement, otherwise, I guess I'll just wait till she stops and get a suitable replacement. One of the first things I noticed when I joined TFP is that my 2 hp was probably, to put it nicely, a bit much. But what should I expect, we got it from the PS that sold us The Frog.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

'mom, fwiw, I'm using a 1 hp 2 speeder this year, and so far, so good. My old single speed was a 1hp and provided all the suction I needed for cleaning and such. I don't have a heater, but besides that, our pools are almost identical. Does the heater require a certain flow rate?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a good question, the heater has always worked on low speed, unless the filter was dirty. Then the heater would only work on high speed, and even then if the filter was too dirty it wouldn't turn on at all, which was always my signal to clean the filter (filter pressure gauge was worthless). I would think the 1.5 hp would be fine too. I'll check my manual though. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounded better today. Opened up the strainer basket anyway and it was all clear. The humming sound seems to be coming from the plastic pump stand, vibrating on the pavers and against the filter stand....Hmmm.....

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    ...Sounded better today...
    FPM, you do understand that when a machine thinks that it's about to be replaced it's kind of like a child:
    It goes into "best behavior" mode!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

9. Back To Top    #9

FWIW, my old hayward pump was from 1989. It had one minor rebuild from the old owners, I now replaced it with a brand new one (same model) only due to my little electrical problem last summer.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator