Filter pressure question

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
Our pool comes with a Polaris Caretaker infloor system and the manual says that the pressure should be b/n 12-20 PSI. The normal PSI of the filter (written on the filter with a pen by whoever installed it) should be 12-14 (currently @ a little above 10), and when I close the return to the spa it goes up to about 18. However on the Caretaker PSI gauge that translates to 9-10 PSI, which is not sufficient to turn the heads. I've been on the phone with Polaris for the most part all last summer without much help. We replaced everything on the Caretaker following their advice, we even got their local dealer/service come by and they were no help whatsoever. So here is the question, how does one go about figuring the correct pressure for the pool system, and is there any way to actually raise the pressure safely without damaging the equipment?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

You should also check for anything that might restrict water flow anywhere else in the system. Clean out the pump strainer basket, clean the filter, check the suction side pipes for obstructions, etc.

As far as I can figure it out, there are no other returns that can be closed. There are no wall returns in the pool, except for the spa (and that is off) and all the floor returns are outfitted with the Polaris nozzles. Yesterday we cleaned the skimmer basket, the pump basket, backwashed the filter and nothing changed. It is really frustrating, because I don't know enough to figure it out :grrrr: The only other things that comes to mind will be to close one or two of the floor returns?

Maybe you should look on the other side of the pump like Jason said. Restrictions on the suction side can reduce the pressure on the return side, since there isn't as much water available. To get your pressure up, you need the pump to try to push more water through the system. If you have any skimmers or drains closed or restricted, you may see a pressure drop.

What happens when you run with the multiport on recirculate?

There is no change in the pressure at the Caretaker, it is still 10 PSI, and of course the filter pressure is 0 when the filter is recirculating. The only thing in the suction side that could potentially be restricting the flow is a plug from last year when the pool guys were opening the pool and the plug got sucked in the system and hasn't been seen since. I don't think there is any way to get it out and the only reason I even know is there is because I was watching them.

botanica37 said:
There is no change in the pressure at the Caretaker, it is still 10 PSI, and of course the filter pressure is 0 when the filter is recirculating. The only thing in the suction side that could potentially be restricting the flow is a plug from last year when the pool guys were opening the pool and the plug got sucked in the system and hasn't been seen since. I don't think there is any way to get it out and the only reason I even know is there is because I was watching them.

That is probably causing at least some of your problem. Do you see air bubbles in the pump basket? If so, your pump suction is high meaning the suction flow is restricted. Probably by that plug. It is likely caught in a bend and may need to flushed out backwards. A drain king or a hose stuck wrapped with a rag into the suction port of the pump may be enough to flush it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.