New IntelliFlo 2 VST not opening spa check valve

May 10, 2016
Vista, CA
I just had an IntelliFlo 2 VST installed yesterday and everything ran great after the installer left with the pump set to 1550 rpm.

Now this morning, when the pump started at 1550 rpm, I noticed it's not opening my spa check valve. The valve will open at higher rpms (around 2200), but that kinda defeats the purpose of the energy efficient pump. I've also tried kicking up the rpm temporarily and then backing down to 1550, but the check valve shuts. The pool was designed to output to the pool with a bypass to to the raised spa, with the check valve preventing the spa from draining into the pool with the pump off. In the pic, the pool/spa output valve is temporarily split to bypass the check valve since it won't open at the super efficient 1550 rpm. This is only temporary until I can figure out a check valve solution.

The valve is a 1" diameter Flo Control D-2466 spring check valve, replaced recently when the old one failed. I believe it has a 2lb spring.

Any tips on getting the valve to open without upping my rpm and killing my efficiency? Would a 1lb or adjustable spring make a difference? Are those even made? Ideally, I don't want to have to re-plumb this whole section.

Thanks!

IMG_5834.jpg
In the pic, the pool/spa output valve is temporarily split to bypass the check valve since it won't open at the super efficient 1550 rpm. This is only temporary until I can figure out a check valve solution.

(PS - I know the plumbing of the pool is a little weird. The pool is about 20 years old and I bought the house 8 months ago).

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

The point of the cross over like that is to allow some water to the spa while in 100% pool mode. I that that grey/gold valve should be set to 100% pool and then a little flow should go to the spa through the check valve. Is that not how you have the valve set?

The point of the cross over like that is to allow some water to the spa while in 100% pool mode. I that that grey/gold valve should be set to 100% pool and then a little flow should go to the spa through the check valve. Is that not how you have the valve set?

Hi jblizzle, Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I tried to explain why that valve is temporarily that way.

I know the grey/gold valve is supposed to go to 100% pool, which splits it with the spa with the cross-over, but right now the check valve will not open at the super efficient 1550 rpm. So, I have the valve split to bypass the cross-over until I can figure out how to replace/fix the crossover with a check valve that will open at 1550 rpm. I know the gold/grey valve will need to be closed before the pump shuts off or the spa will drain right back into the pool.

Ah, ok understood, did not realize it was with the Spa valve closed that you were having the initial issue.

That type of check valve adds a lot of head loss. Going with a more efficient check valve like the Jandy Neverlube or equivalent might help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.