Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: potable pool water???

1. Back To Top    #1

potable pool water???

Hi all. I hope this is the right place to bring this up. But my wife heard about a pool filtration system that is supposed to clean the water so it's even safe to drink. That's not a minor consideration with 3 boys and a dog who insist on putting pool water in their mouths no matter how much we try to talk and tell them...

Can anybody tell me about, or direct me to, information about this system--- concerning usefulness, reliability, durability, operating efficiency, cost to run, that sort of thing...
    Thanks!
    East Texas Piney Woods
    (more specifically N/E Texas)
    pool data:
    In ground vinyl lined
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: potable pool water???

This is an advertising claim that is often made for copper/silver ionization and mineral systems. It is bogus.
    alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html
    Chlorine is the SAFEST EPA approved sanitizer with fast kill times for pools (and chlorine is also used to sanitize drinking water in most localities.)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: potable pool water???

You can drink small amounts of pool water without any problems. People, including children, and pets who accidentally swallow small amounts of pool water will be fine. But pool water should not be used as a primary source of drinking water no matter what sanitizing system you are using.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School