drain, refill, swim....

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm going to be draining and refilling in order to get my high CYA down (it's about 100). I drained to the bottom of the top step (right at the bottom of the skimmer) today and the added water up to the just below the middle of the skimmer. Then, we went swimming. I realized that draining then adding got the water balance off (oops) after we had been swimming for a while. DUH.

After we were done swimming, I dropped my two water hoses (all I have) and started another drain. I think if I drain for about 4 or so hours, that will have me down about as low as I want to do (I think...it may take longer though). By this time, it will be well into the evening and I'll start refilling. Obviously, it will be late in the night when I'm done. I was thinking of turning the pump on when I'm done and putting about 2-3 (???) gallons of bleach in and let it run for the rest of the night. Then, in the morning, I will test everything again and adjust as needed. Since we want to swim again tomorrow, I might wait until the evening and do the same thing.

Just a rough estimate would be if my CYA is 100 and I did the small drain today and bigger one this afternoon/evening and then again tomorrow. I think my CYA will be maybe possibly, hopefully about 60ish. ????

How does this plan sound?

Also, since we want to swim tomorrow, when would be the best time for me to adjust the pH, CL, and TA (if needed)?

my2kidsmon said:
How does this plan sound?

:?: Well, you know your pool better than anyone.

my2kidsmom said:
Also, since we want to swim tomorrow, when would be the best time for me to adjust the pH, CL, and TA (if needed)?
You are planning to test and adjust in the morn. Do pH first then CL. Wait 30 mins w/pump running and then swim.

Unless TA is way of of whack, I'd ignore it for now.

If I do the pH first then the CL, do I wait 30 minutes between those or can I do them back to back?

Should I go ahead and put some CL in tonight?

My draining is taking longer than I thought and I'm just now to the bottom of the top step. I think I'll let it drain for another hour or so and then start filling. (I don't want to be up all night!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.