Chemicals Slipping Out of Control....

OK, well nothing seems that out of whack although 1ppm drop is an hour of so in the dark (right?) is a bit high, but near the accuracy of the test .. although maybe the drops were now better formed with the vertical bottle and that is why the FC dropped.

I would just test the FC and CC in the morning before the sun hits the pool and report back.

Good morning!

txnole and MarianParoo...THANK YOU for the encouragement. Yes. My husband thinks I am certifiably insane. Thankfully he trusts me and my gut though. Although, after I ordered the speedstirrer last night, he did say "I thought this was supposed to SAVE us money???" Smarty pants.

Test results this morning...
FC: 8.5
CC: .5

So at 9:00PM it was at 13ppm. At 9:30PM it was at 12ppm. At 6:45 AM it is at 8.5ppm.

That seems bad????

Oh...one more thing...not sure if it matters. The frogs have a love fest in my pool at night. They are loud and lookin for love. There is probably 6-12 of them if I had to guess? Just thought it was worth mentioning.

The most precise drop is one that "falls" off the tip rather than being squirted out. So to the best of your ability, hold that tip vertical and allow the reagent to fall from the vertical tip.

Now, catch us up....What does your water look like?

Did you do an FC test this AM? Post it, please.

Keep all future information under this same thread so you can get the best advice and not have it scattered around the forum.

I think you are close to a crystal clear pool. Let's get you finished up.

EDIT: We were posting at the same time. Your FC should be brought back up to SLAM value and maintained there. If you posted a CYA value, I do not see it....sorry.

Yes… I apologize for the multiple posts. I messaged the other administrator and explained that I must have misread something because I was posting under one thread at first and then thought I read I should start new threads so I did that.

CYA is 50 after doing two partial dumps and refills. The first time we got rid of about 40% and the second time we got rid of more than half. Water continues to be crystal clear this morning.

I have a couple of questions and concerns…
1. Is the assumption that there is some kind of organism in the water that is eating up the chlorine? If so, have you ever heard of crystal-clear water and no visible sign of an organism and yet one being there? Any thoughts on what it could be if so?

2. Our pool is 32 years old and, to the best of our knowledge, it has never been recoated. However, there are areas where the previous owners made "patches". Lately we have noticed there are small blackish green dots on these patches and in other compromised areas of the gunite but they won't scrub off. I initially thought black algae but they don't scrub off and I thought you could scrub algae off so then we just assumed it was something in the plaster.

3. The last time I shocked my pool was when the pool store told me I needed to do it about a month ago. My water went from looking crystal clear to a complete swamp in 24 hours. After thorough research I found it was because of the metal treatment we had done in the weeks before (which the pool store knew about). Now I am scared to death to shock the pool. How do we know this won't cause a swamp again? Or do we?

4. One thing I forgot to mention that is in the pool. We have the CuLator Metal Eliminator & Prevention bag in the skimmer. It supposedly catches any metals in the water. Is this ok?

Thanks for your help!
KG

1 Yes, I have had crystal clear water, 0 CC and visible algae and higher than normal chlorine consumption. The Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) will always tell you the right answer.

2 OCLT

3 SLAMing the pool will not ever cause a swamp. Following the SLAM process will result in the cleanest, clearest water you have ever seen in your pool. Here is the process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

4 It is fine to use CUlator

Check the show sig box on your device to show your signature every time you post. It will stay checked after the first time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you basically did the oclt last night. And with the large drop that confirms that there must be something in the water consuming it. I wonder if it's possible that the frogs are actually cause.

Ok. We will SLAM. But we have a few questions now that we have read how that is done...

1. It says to vacuum daily. Can I use my Dolphin Triton pus robot? Will the high chlorine levels cause any harm to it? It is the only one we have.
2. I want to ensure I understand this part: every time I test, if the FC level is lower than the SLAM level, I add to bring it back up to the SLAM level. I want to maintain the SLAM level until we wake up one morning and we haven't lost more than 1ppm.
3. We have a sand filter. I saw you could add DE to the filter to speed up the filtering process. I have a bag of cellulose fiber (Diatomaceous Earth Alternative) which we had to use when we we shocked last time and it turned our crystal clear pool into a swamp. Can/should I use this?
4. Do I keep the CUlator in the skimmer basic while I SLAM to capture any metals.

Thanks as always!
KG

So your water is already crystal clear right? So the brushing and the de in the filter are not really that important because your water is already clear and you have no signs of algae.

Starting SLAM levels...
FC: 3ppm
CC: .5
PH: 7.5
CYA: 40

Added 200 ounces of 10% LC to get to 16

1.5 hours later...
FC: 20 ppm
CC:0

Plan is to test right before bed and as soon as I get up in the morning. Let me know if there is anything else I should do.

Keep at it!!! Don't give up! I had your same issue last year (before I found this site) where I could NOT keep chlorine in the pool. Our pool was only a year old and I was so frustrated I told my husband to backfill it in. Multiple times a week I was taking a water sample to the pool store, traveling over a 1/2 hour to get there. They kept telling me we had phosphates in our water that were chewing up our chlorine. The straw that broke the camel's back was when they gave me a phosphate binder that required me to babysit the pump so the pressure wouldn't get too high. Ummmmm, I work full-time and can't babysit the pool. They tell me that AFTER I complained about the pressure rising with the addition of the phosphate binder. We ended up replacing the DE powder and starting fresh. PLUS, the good news is I found this forum. My husband thought I was nothing short of crazy when I told him I was going to bite the bullet and start putting straight chlorine in the pool! I am surprised Walmart didn't have a radar on me for all the bleach I bought! I couldn't tell you how many gallons I purchased! It took me several days to get through the SLAM (partially because the FC would drop a little below SLAM until I could get more in), but once I passed the OCLT, the rest of the summer was a breeze!!!! This year, the pool is open (although too cold to swim yet) and I will tell you that the chlorine is holding nicely. :party: My only problem now is what to do with the 2-3 buckets of chlorine pucks and stabilizer I have sitting in my garage that I purchased at the beginning of the season last year and never used! So much of a big change from last year!!!! Everyone here is so helpful. Be diligent with the testing and adding chlorine and you'll come out with flying colors!!!

Jkpharm - thanks for the encouragement! So glad someone else has walked through this insanity and is on the other side saying "it was worth it!"

BattleofYakima - Yes...I have done it several times and had hubs do it. Always outside with back to sun using the TF-100 test. Not sure if you read earlier in the thread but it was well over 100 and we drained 40% of our pool, which got it down to 90, and then more than 50%. I worked hard for that 40 reading!

This morning we are at FC: 17 and CC: 0-.5 (if I saw pink it was so slight). So I lost 2 overnight.

However, here is my question. My SLAM level is supposed to be 16 but when I added chlorine it was at 20 and still hasn't gotten down to 16. Either I have super strong chlorine or my pool isn't quite as big as we think. Either way, I assume I can just keep letting it drop until it gets below 16 before I add back. Is that right?

Thanks!
Kristina

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.