What size pump should I get for a 450 sqft cartridge filter?

paaccc

Apr 30, 2016
Middle Tennessee
I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a 150 sqft WaterWay cartridge filter when I remembered someone on the forum mentioned craigslist and I thought I'd check it out before spending the money. The first result was a 450 sqft Hayward cartridge filter for $150 at a some warehouse. I couldn't get there fast enough. It's never been used and is clean as a whistle on the inside, but the outside will need some elbow grease. Can't believe my luck.

My next step is to get a pump to go with it. I am looking at Blue Wave 2 speed models, but am trying to decide between the 1 hp and 1.5 hp. I am leaning heavily towards the 1 hp, but the bump is only $15 more (due to taxes on the 1 hp).

On that note, has anyone had any experience with the Blue Wave brand? Good, bad?

Never heard of that brand. Typically you want the smallest pump that gives you your needed flow rate so it uses less power, nothing really to do with the filter size. The 1HP should be fine if you have no high flow needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.