Brushing After No Drain Acid Wash

Apr 9, 2015
Carroll County/MD
I searched every thread and couldn't find an answer so hopefully someone can help me.

I opened the pool this year and I had terrible calcium scale. I just started a no drain acid wash (I am on Day 3) and the pool looks much better. I say looks because it is freezing so I don't know how it feels. I can tell it's better because the bottom no longer looks like sandpaper.

However, I have a few questions.

1. Can I use my pool robot (it is not a pressure side) to clean/scrub the bottom?

2. Can I run my equipment if I can bypass my heater?

3. After I bring the Alkalinity and PH up do I continue to brush the pool and if so, for how long?

Thanks All!!

1. Can I use my pool robot (it is not a pressure side) to clean/scrub the bottom?

The water right now is both very acidic and has no alkalinity in it. You want to avoid putting anything in the water that has metal components in it as they will be subject to greater rates of corrosion.

2. Can I run my equipment if I can bypass my heater?

Again, because of the extremely low pH and alkalinity, the heater either must be disconnected or completely bypassed as the water will corrode the metal heat exchanger.

3. After I bring the Alkalinity and PH up do I continue to brush the pool and if so, for how long?

You will want to watch your pool carefully for any signs of recurring scale. If the plaster is more than 1 year old, I would suggest you use a 50/50 nylon/steel mixed-bristle brush and brush the pool at least once per day. TFP always recommends brushing your pool as much as you can - like your teeth, your pool should be brushed regularly.

Hope that helps,

Matt

OK, good luck. Post back and let us know how it goes. There's been quite of few of these "I opened my freshly plastered pool fro it's winter's nap and there's scale everywhere" posts. This should be a one-off event and not happen again in the future (I believe it's related to being newly plastered before closing) but do let us know how it all works out for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.