Would you decontaminate this hot tub?

Jul 6, 2011
Hello. Quick introduction - our old house that we sold had a small regular pool and I used TFP methods with great success. I appreciate all the information on this website! Saved me a lot of money and time.

My current situation:

We recently bought a house and inherited a small Jacuzzi brand hot tub. I had to fix a leak at the flow sensor and now it holds water just fine. Everything works now. I "superchlorinated" it when I started it up the first time. I drained the water and cleaned the surface and got it going just fine.

I got CYA level to about 30, CH between 100-150, TA was around 50, pH 7.2-7.5. So everything looked good! I used it a few times with no problems.

My wife then decided to use the hot tub. I had been checking FC levels daily and adding bleach. I told her to add some bleach to the water before using it and she did not do it! The water was a bit cloudy at the time. Anyway, she developed a minor case of "hot tub" folliculitis which is resolving. She now knows the importance of adding sanitizer.

So now I have the water looking great again. Looks clear. Latest test numbers (I have equivalent of TF-100 test kit):
pH 7.5
TA 50
CH 110
FC 14 (I added some today to get it to a shock level)
CC 1
CYA 30
Temp is 90 degrees

I left the cover off today to let some sunlight get to it.

My question to the veteran hot tub owners is this - should I further decontaminate the tub with an AhhSome product or just use as is? I think the numbers currently look good as best I can tell and the water looks good. A 6 oz bottle of Ahhsome is $50 and a new set of filters is $80. If you all think it's better to use AhhSome and get new filters I don't mind doing it. But if not necessary I would rather not spend the money. The filters look clean BTW.

Thanks for your time
Martin

ANY time you inherit a spa from others I feel it should be decontaminated. You don't know *what* the other folks may have had or done to it.

Biofilm in the pipes can hold a lot of cooties which later cause you problems. Ahh-some is a great product which helps rid the pipes of that biofilm. The cheapest place I've found for it is NewEgg.com

G0 check out the Ahh-some website for a scary gross video showing green slime. Ugh!

I second the use of Ahh-Some just make sure to get the jetted tub / hot tub variety, now that they have became popular they have added a number of other varieties like the pool and hot tub filter cleaner, etc.

We have a hot tub that came with the house. We used a lot of Aah-some to get it un-icky. Throw away the old filters and get new ones too, they're not that expensive. Don't forget to chlorinate while aah-some-ing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.