Lafayette/CA
ok so here are the readings and my method

20K gallon IG with pool cover

CL 0
PH - 7.3
CALC - 290
ALK - 70
CYA - 20

I usually start the year by doing 1.5 gallons of muriatic and after 3 hrs start hammering with 4 gallons of liquid bleach ....my problem is the bleach usually gets eaten immediately because CYA is low ....usually I have 0 CYA at beginning of year so is it ok to add bleach with 20 CYA or wait .....thanks! :confused:

Since your water is green, and you need to SLAM (link below), you can add stabilizer now for a target of 30 and adjust/increase your FC to a SLAM/Shock level of 12 as listed on the Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig link below. Your pH is fine for now, so I would not add any acid at this time. Everything else looks good. You also have the option of leaving CYA at 20 and using a SLAM/Shock FC level of 10 (little less bleach), but if you get a lot of sun, a CYA of 30 may be better for now. Either way, no waiting. :) SLAM-away!

If I were you, I'd just pick-up a small bottle of stabilizer and raise it quicker. While pucks do work, they are slow-dissolving and could take a while. But you can use them later when you are ready (after the SLAM) to raise your CYA higher for the summer.

Never a good idea to use pucks during a SLAM. The SLAM does best on a quick, massive dose of chlorine (as in liquid chlorine) and is not intended to be used in conjunction with slow release pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.