"Don't bleach out the liner...

Mar 15, 2010
Spanish Fort, AL
...like the last one". That's what the wife told me. The last liner only lasted a little over 5 years. Unlike my previous pool which required very minimal maintenance and spoiled me. This pool has a very narrow balance point it seems.

I'm not sure exactly which bone headed thing I did, but I did something that bleached the liner, and at the end of its life was brittle along the entire bottom. However, the sides/walls where supple like the day it was installed. First question, what could I have done? Would this be a result of too much bleach/chlorine? Ph being too low? (I've never had problems with pH being too high)

For the past 2 or 3 years I've used 8.25% bleach to maintain chlorine levels. I had a problem with mustard algae a year or so ago, and I followed SLAM. Actually, I think I used SLAM opening last year also.

Very important... Did you always test and retest and retest in order to be confident of your CYA level before starting a SLAM? I think I've also read on here that a an actual pool CYA level under 30 , will not test accurately. If this is true, I'd be skeptical of any CYA result at or below 30. I always add stabilizer until I get a reading of at least 35 just to make me feel more confident about the test result, and I keep testing until I get the same result at least a couple times in a row, because knowing the true CYA is so critical to managing the TFP way.

The other key is that you must always test FC the way it's spelled out in SLAM instructions, and it must be an unexpired FAS-DPD kit.

As for liquid chlorine, including 8.25% bleach, I'd say but don't know, because it's liquid and much less concentrated than trichlor, dichlor, or Cal-hypo, that it would both mix and dilute much better and far less likely to drop to the floor in high concentrations, although, I think dichlor dissolves very quickly if I remember correctly.

The majority of the time brittle liners point back to a low pH level. What pH did you maintain the pool at the majority of the time??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.