Constant High pressure Hayward filter

Apr 14, 2016
HUDSON FL
Just had Diamond Brite applied, have brushed and cleaned cartridges w. power hose nozzle, daily...pressure starts at 15, then in half-hour up past 30. Cartridges are new; before cleaning, look white...after cleaning, are white. Some white residue washes out.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

From your description, I think that's normal.

The new diamond brite is shedding calcium powder and your good cartridge filter is catching it....just as it should. I think you will find the time between cleaning will get longer and longer.

Uh-oh! :pale: :pale: I am afraid the answer is yes.

What happens is that once your filter psi goes 25% above normal, the flow starts to decrease. It ends up going higher and higher and you get very little flow.

Very little flow means two things... One, that now you are not filtering your water very fast as the flow decreases and, two, you are not very efficient as the pump is chugging along at a constant speed so it spends most of it's energy overcoming the resistance in the filter instead of pushing water.

It'll get better pretty quickly but you need to get that calcium out of your pool.

With a new finish applied, and a filter the same as mine, I can see why the psi is rising so fast. Our single cartridges can get overwhelmed at a time like this. It's just going to be a battle for a couple days until most of it gets neutralized and/or filtered out. Do the best you can so that the psi doesn't get too high above the 25% rule. If clean is 15, I wouldn't go too much more past 20-22. Half-hour huh? Might need to stage an ice chest close to the equipment pad. :cheers:

Much like what is mentioned in the Pool School - Start-up New Plaster instructions, you can expect brushing to create residual dust for 1-2 weeks. Every pool and type of surface/plaster application (and timeline) is a bit different, but I would think the most significant dust should begin to slow down within a week or so. Make sure to watch your chemical levels closely during this period - especially pH so it doesn't get too high.

The ice box however should always be fully stocked and chilled in case of an emergency. :)

hey there, sore hands are no fun... your filter should be taking more time between each filter cleaning, you will always need to watch your filter and clean when you reach the 25%.. with that said each pool and filter is different and with your smaller filter it could be a while :(

Have you given any thought to getting a mango huge filter, if you have the room it would help you out very much.... the 320 or 420 would work great for you, I have close to the same gallons and love the 320 :)

Amazon.com : Pentair 160340 Clean Garden

Amazon.com : Pentair 160301 Clean Garden

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.