Red 'wigglies' and too much shock?

Okay!!I'm starting to get this .............I think :) So, are you saying ! 1.) I should vacuum with waste ( I think this is possible if I close off the out going connector, place the hose on the ground while running the filter pump with the vacuum??I have the Deluxe maintence Kit from Intex and the 8111 Krystal Clear Deluxe Saltwater System & filter Pump- hope that helps ) I see a lot of white cloudness when I brush the bottom of the pool. I have the worms all gone! No, trash and Crystal clear water on top. 2.) after I vacuum with waste then I add Muriac Acid (2 cups) run the filter pump only and and recheck levels after 1-2 hrs?? am I on the right track?? If so, how much do i waste and when do I add more tap water? I will get rid of the Shock- it came with the pool and since I started with that I didn't think I could use beach, but you are saying I can switch to the bleach....correct??
I want to thank you for all of your help and pushing me to not give up. I'm sure it will be worth it, I know this pool isn't the best and the SWG/ filter isn't the best- this was suppose to be a test for upgrading to a better pool in the future. After all of this I'm sure going to find out from you what your recommendations would be. I really understand the need for a better test kit- I'm really trying to purchase one, the pool store had a 7 way for 40.00 but they said it wasn't that great. I wold love to get the one from this site b/c I feel that you guys have been so much help! I just can't do it right now- Thanks again :)

Reebok...I stand corrected.

Ellison...you are on the right track :goodjob: ...not being familiar with the the intex deluxe kit...I would google the instruction manual and follow those...you want to vacum the bottom of the pool until all the white/cloudy residue is picked up.

Also, about the test results....something just doesn't seem right (although I would appreciate it if Chem Geek, Jason or others would comment on this)...If your FC is 10 and your "TC is 10 or higher", you may still in fact have CC's (unlikely given all the shock you used, but next time I would ask her for a prinout of the water test results...you do not want any uncertanity when testing)...the other is the fact that you added 3 cups of MA just 2-3 days ago and your PH is back up to 8.5, which is too high...it seems odd that your PH would have climbed back up so rapidly...but again, I'll let the others with more experience comment here.

I think you mentioned you had test strips...I do not trust them, but out of curiousity if you test with one of them today, what does is tell you for PH level? Just curious as although they are not as accurate as the TF100 or Taylor Kit...I would sanity check your PH level, before adding more MA.

What I can tell you is that your are in good hands with FPM (Frustratedpoolmom), Jason, waterbear, chemgeek...etc...they have helped me get my water sparkly clear :lol:

Best of luck!

ellisongirls said:
Okay, for those of you that suggested that I have an algae problem, I place more shock, however I don't think by the look of the water there is an algae problem becasue it's crystal clear until I go to vacuum or stir up the bottom of the pool which leads me to think there is too much shock~ just my thoughts. It's pouring rain here so maybe that will help.......or not.
Here are my new numbers from the pool store today.
Temp- 70
sat idx- 0.4
TDS 3400
CYA 99
tot chlor 10 or higher she said
free chol 10
ph 8.5
tot alk 198
adj total alk 198
tot hardness 37
salt 3500
So, now what's next? The lady at the pool store asked me if I could backwash with my filter pump? I honestly don't know so if someone does that would help too? I guess it' stoo much shock??????

Yup...that is an algae problem...My pool used to do that...The problem is that the filter cartridges are not big enough or good enough to filter out all that algae...I would go and get 6-8 cartridges and change them daily...They will be completely covered with green slime by the end of a 24 hour period...If you don't change them they will just keep sending algae back into the pool. There is no way to get it out otherwise other than emptying and then cleaning the pool. And then refilling...Shock and shock like pool mom tells you and go get plenty of cartridges.

ellisongirls said:
Okay!!I'm starting to get this .............I think :) So, are you saying ! 1.) I should vacuum with waste ( I think this is possible if I close off the out going connector, place the hose on the ground while running the filter pump with the vacuum??I have the Deluxe maintence Kit from Intex and the 8111 Krystal Clear Deluxe Saltwater System & filter Pump- hope that helps ) I see a lot of white cloudness when I brush the bottom of the pool. I have the worms all gone! No, trash and Crystal clear water on top. 2.) after I vacuum with waste then I add Muriac Acid (2 cups) run the filter pump only and and recheck levels after 1-2 hrs?? am I on the right track?? If so, how much do i waste and when do I add more tap water? I will get rid of the Shock- it came with the pool and since I started with that I didn't think I could use beach, but you are saying I can switch to the bleach....correct??
I want to thank you for all of your help and pushing me to not give up. I'm sure it will be worth it, I know this pool isn't the best and the SWG/ filter isn't the best- this was suppose to be a test for upgrading to a better pool in the future. After all of this I'm sure going to find out from you what your recommendations would be. I really understand the need for a better test kit- I'm really trying to purchase one, the pool store had a 7 way for 40.00 but they said it wasn't that great. I wold love to get the one from this site b/c I feel that you guys have been so much help! I just can't do it right now- Thanks again :)

Yes, you can use bleach, it's perfectly fine. Use the Pool calculator to figure out how much when you need to add it, but once you get your SWG running hopefully that will be rare.

You may have to do the vacuming in seperate sessions, you don't want the water level to go too low so that the pump runs dry. You may have to plug that opening if you disconnect the hose, do you have a plug? Just go very slowly so it doesn't get stirred up. Refill, let the water circulate for an hour then retest the PH and add acid to bring it down.

Save your money on the pool store kit, when you have $70 you can afford the TF100.

One last thing...in all the posts one thing was lost on me, the size of your pool.

Tis up to you and considering water prices, etc., you could just dump and start over from scratch...If that is appealing to you we could discuss it further. I don't want to confuse you.

The size of my pool is 16X42- I'm not opposed to starting over, my only concern is replacing all the salt but if it would be the the best without the headach and less confusion, I'd be willto consider it. I just want my kids to have fun and me not be a monster out of frustration! I'm going to vacuum now but will be back to see your reply. I'll wait on the kit from the pool store. Thanks s much for your help! I'll be back soon!! :)

My SWG/filter pump specs-
Power 120V
Amperage SWS 2.5A filter pump- 2.6A
Saltwater System 250W Filter Pump 280W
ideal Salt Level 3000ppm
Max Sanitizer output 24 gram/hour
Hope this helps. I just vacuumed- I think I wasted about 10-15%, waiting an hour to see what it looks like and what he numbers are. Could my ph be higher now due to all the rain?? I'm thinking its a contributor. Thanks you guys!!! If I could just get the numbers right........... The water on top is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frustratedpoolmom said:
ellisongirls said:

Yes, you can use bleach, it's perfectly fine. Use the Pool calculator to figure out how much when you need to add it, but once you get your SWG running hopefully that will be rare.

You may have to do the vacuming in seperate sessions, you don't want the water level to go too low so that the pump runs dry. You may have to plug that opening if you disconnect the hose, do you have a plug? Just go very slowly so it doesn't get stirred up. Refill, let the water circulate for an hour then retest the PH and add acid to bring it down.

Save your money on the pool store kit, when you have $70 you can afford the TF100.

One last thing...in all the posts one thing was lost on me, the size of your pool.

Tis up to you and considering water prices, etc., you could just dump and start over from scratch...If that is appealing to you we could discuss it further. I don't want to confuse you.

Ann that is like 1350 Gallons if I remember from our pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cubby I think a 16ft round easy set should hold at least 3500 gallons...poolcalc puts it at around 5000 gals but that doesn't account for the fact that it is not a metal fram above ground pool....ie her walls lean in toward the top "blow-up" ring

Actually your best bet ellison is to check the swg/filter manual...it has a whole bunch of intex pools listed in it with the applicable water capacity.

dmanb2b said:
cubby I think a 16ft round easy set should hold at least 3500 gallons...poolcalc puts it at around 5000 gals but that doesn't account for the fact that it is not a metal fram above ground pool....ie her walls lean in toward the top "blow-up" ring

Actually your best bet ellison is to check the swg/filter manual...it has a whole bunch of intex pools listed in it with the applicable water capacity.

Dman...you are right...I am dyslexic as all heck...I meant to say 3150...which my pool was but it was a 12X42...So I think you are right...I just type dyslexically...

Hi Guys! In the manual as dman stated........ it states, 3754! So, 3500 was pretty darn close! This is at 80% according to the manual. So, I'm getting ready to test and vacuum some more. I'll be back.......with more questions I'm sure!! :)

excellent...good luck with the vacuming

No worries cubby...we all have our days...I'm an accountant, so you can only imagine what happens when I have an off day :hammer:

Okay,
According to the WALMART test- NOT strips- my CHL is still above 10- its orange/ red (looks like iodine) but less orange than before. The ph is 7.6- now, the cloudyness is improving- when I vacuum it doesn't for a complete cloud. But the ground where I wasted has a slight white color- so, I guess I removed lot's of JUNK. Do I continue to vacuum and waste then add water? Also, when do I turn on the SWG??-

ellisongirls said:
Okay,
According to the WALMART test- NOT strips- my CHL is still above 10- its orange/ red (looks like iodine) but less orange than before. The ph is 7.6- now, the cloudyness is improving- when I vacuum it doesn't for a complete cloud. But the ground where I wasted has a slight white color- so, I guess I removed lot's of JUNK. Do I continue to vacuum and waste then add water? Also, when do I turn on the SWG??-

The white stuff may be the dead algae...I remember someone saying it turnes white when it is superchlorinated...is so that is a good sign...

ellisongirls said:
Okay,

Okay, good. We've decided to keep plugging along. I like a challenge too. :wink:

Yes, keep vacuming and keep refilling the water level as you go, it make take a couple of rounds of vacuming and letting the stuff settle again, repeat, etc., After the water level is back up to the normal level, and the water has recirculated, tomorrow you will have to have a full set retested at the Pool Store, checking all your numbers. You'll probably have to add more salt, and you can't turn the SWG on until the salt is at the recommended level. But with the FC being at it's level now, that's okay it will give you some breathing room and time to work at clearing up the gunk off the bottom, balancing the other numbers, etc.

So keep at it, and tomorrow post a fresh set of test results: We need to see:

FC
CC
TC
PH
TA
CYA
SALT.

Have them give you the printout or write them down. Then we can advise you if any adjustments are needed. :goodjob:

Thanks so much. I am going out of town this weekend, should I wait unitl I return to complete the process (i'm thining it would be better for my numbers to saty high rather than take a chance of not getting it right and then having an ALGAE problem!-DON"T want that) thanks so much for all of your help!!

When you say wait, do you mean the vacuming, etc.?

If I were you I'd do the following: Before you leave make sure the PH is about 7.2 that way you have some time before it creeps back up before you come home. Also you want to make sure the FC is high enough before you go to prevent algae.

So the night before you leave test the PH and add enough acid to lower it to 7.2. Leave the pump running. An hour later, test the FC and add enough bleach to bring the FC up to 8-10, leave the pump running for an hour or so after that....that bleach addition should make sure you have a reserve of FC while you are gone. Cover your pool and leave the pump off while you are gone, unless there is someone who can check on the pump/pool making sure everything is working okay. Covering it will help prevent FC loss.

Then when you come back, let us know what's happening. Then if you need to do more vacuming you can pick up where you left off, and you'll probably have to adjust some of your numbers some more.

No problem, we're happy to help! :goodjob:

Sounds great! I was thinking along those lines- I knew I wanted to keep the chl high to prevent the creature!!! but I wasn't sure if the ph was going to be ok. I'm going to the pool store in the am for a test. Also. they have my size as 4500 gallons. Its actually 3736, thats about 750-800 gallons off- is that okay for them to be off that much?? I'll let you know ASAP! You have been so much help!! I greatly appreciate it! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.