DE Filter & 2-Speed Pump?

No, that is not true. All filters work better with pumps running at low speed or at lower speed on variable speed pumps. And you save lots of money on electricity. 2 speed pump is highly recommended.

No, that is not true. All filters work better with pumps running at low speed or at lower speed on variable speed pumps. And you save lots of money on electricity. 2 speed pump is highly recommended.

How much money? My PB said it's more of a sales gimmick and 1 speed Hayward 1.5HP is enough for the pool I'm getting. There is a $700 difference for the VSP....is it worth it? Thanks!

How much money? My PB said it's more of a sales gimmick and 1 speed Hayward 1.5HP is enough for the pool I'm getting. There is a $700 difference for the VSP....is it worth it? Thanks!
Generally for a 2-speed pump (cheaper than the VS), a single speed is the same as high speed. On low speed, it moved 1/2 the water but uses 1/4 the amount of electricity. So even if you doubled the run time on low to move the same amount of water (not usually needed), you would still be saving 50% of the electrical costs. And the $$ number depends on your cost of power and how much you run.

Generally a VS may not make sense unless you have very expensive power and/or get large rebates.

Switching to a 2-speed from a 1-speed can often be done by just changing the motor which is a lot cheaper than buying a new VS.

Well I insisted on the 2 stage pump and they were very reluctant Do it because the DE filter comes prepackaged with the 1.5hp pump in the same box as the filter. They were just being lazy! So it's a 2hp two stage hayward. Pool is getting installed today. I am on a well so water is being delivered Thursday to finish filling it. Any tips would be appreciated!

The choice of single speed, 2 speed or variable speed pump has a lot to do with cost of electricity where you live and how long the paypack time is. For just about everyone a 2 speed pump makes sense economically with payback typically in under 2 years for most people.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was the only option they gave me for the 2 stage pump. I have also read everything in pool school and purchased TF-100 kit with XL option and the speed stir. I was just wondering about anything that I should look out for or should absolutely do because of the new installation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.