Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Air Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Air Valve

As most of you know I tackled my DE grids this past weekend.

I have picked up my scoop, new media and lube for O ring. I am ready to get filter back up and running. However, I am missing an air release valve on my DE. Pool store says that I HAVE to have one. Help! What should I do?

Steph
    18k Gl, Plaster Pool, Magnetex Pump, Haryward MultiValve, Clear Flo DE Filter, 220 Volt 2 phase timer #T104P by Intermatic.

Feeling better about my pool, thanks to TFP and the gang!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Air Valve

I have never seen a DE filter made without an air release vent. You do need to have one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

By rights there HAS to be one, but someone in the past may have made it inoperable Any chance of a few pics of the system, especially the top of the filter?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Pics are no problem...

Just to the left of the valve there is a clear site glass, can anyone tell me what that is?

There are two pressure gauges, but one hasn't read any pressure at all. Is it possible that someone replaced the air valve with a gauge? If so, Is it possible if I change it back?

Thanks everyone!!
    18k Gl, Plaster Pool, Magnetex Pump, Haryward MultiValve, Clear Flo DE Filter, 220 Volt 2 phase timer #T104P by Intermatic.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like someone removed the air valve. Perhaps the valve broke and someone plugged the hole with an old gauge? Kaptain Kluge in action! Looking closer, I would guess that there is an entire assembly missing from the top. My DE filter has a plastic housing up top that contains the air release valve and the gauge screws into it.

In any case, without an air valve, water can never fill the tank, so only part of the filter will be working. You need to bleed out the air in the tank, while the filter is in operation. Once there is water coming out of the valve, then you can close it. Unless you have a leak, it only needs to be done after you backwash the filter or open the housing for a thorough cleaning.

The sightglass near the valve is just there so you can tell when the water runs clear while backwashing.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

It should be fairly easy to find an air bleeder valve at a pool store. That is a fairly standard threaded hole, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

So should I look for the whole thing, or simply add an valve where the second guage is?

8. Back To Top    #8

Remove one of the gauges and install an air bleeder valve in it's place.

9. Back To Top    #9

Great thanks Jason. I will remove the gauge that I have seen no pressure on.
    Hope that works and get me up and running again.

10. Back To Top    #10

I went by Lowe's and picked up and air release valve last night. Removed the gauge and replaces with the valve. Tonight I will hopefully get the pool circulating again. We have had a LOT of rain here within the past week and more expected this weekend. I am hoping that I will not see to much of an algae bloom when it stops raining.

Steph