New Pump and Motor Sanity Check

Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
My pump is leaking and I am assuming that it is original to the house. I kind of doubt the motor is original, but it looks like it is getting some age on it.
A couple of pics of the current install.

Basically, all I use my pump for is skimming, filtering and when cold, keep it from freezing.
I am thinking I will add a Stenner pump to my setup in the near future, I think that is a better option for me vs a SWG.

So my thought is to go with this pump:
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

Is it over kill? I think it is to some degree, but it is only $100 more then a two speed and gives me the ability to do some fine tuning on skimming, save some dollars on running for freeze protection, and right at this moment with all the tree stuff falling, I would really like to be able to run 7x24 at a low speed to keep the pool cleaner.

Thoughts, does it make sense? Risk with overpower plumbing or the filter?

Thank you for taking a look.
Mark

Overkill? Yes, a little.
Great pump? Yep
Save you some money on the electric bill? Yes
Worth it? Totally!

You will be able to set it for 900-1200 rpm for skimming, filtering and freeze protection. It will only use between 100-200 watts. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm and it uses 150 watts. At 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run it 24x7. Good plan!

The reason your existing pump may be leaking is due to a bad seal. Replacement seals are much cheaper than a new pump and fairly easy fix.

The reason your existing pump may be leaking is due to a bad seal. Replacement seals are much cheaper than a new pump and fairly easy fix.
I thought about that too. I think it might be beyond my skills, plus the current set up is all welded in so either way will take some plumbing rework.
But to your point, if I go with the new pump, will have to get it installed plus get a surge protector put on the box that has all of pool equipment on it. Probably get a quote for both so I know what total dollars look like.

Check to see if there is a rebate available from the state or your electric provider, some give rebates/incentives for installing energy efficient pool pumps.

You only need to remove the motor from the wet end to replace a seal. You don't have to break any of the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.