coleman pool needs sand filter/skimmer/vacume option??

Feb 29, 2016
dudley/pa
I have the following above ground pool : Coleman 18' x 9' x 48" Power Steel Rectangular Frame Above-Ground Swimming Pool:
  • Water capacity (90 percent): 14,812 L (3,913 gal) This is a Walmart product, used it last year and was very disappointed in it's filter and vacume options. I would like to purchase a sand filter, a skimmer, and vacuum for this pool, however when reading options from Intex on eBay, amazon and other sites many people say they cannot find adapters at a reasonable cost, I just saw a very unique skimmer at a pool company nearby that comes with the quick swim pool that comes from spasharoundpools.com it just hangs over the edge and attaches to the intake valve?? I was wondering if anyone here as any suggestions on a brand and type of sand filter that comes with connections that will fit my coleman pool? would like to have the option to suction vacuum if possible.

CW, I'm going to give this post a little :bump: for visibility. Your situation is a bit challenging (to me anyways), not because of the conversion sizes from Coleman to Intex. Actually, many of their parts are supposed to be interchangeable. Anything that's not you should be able to get at your local hardware store. But your pool volume is barely over the 3K seasonable pool size that many folks simply maintain, dump and refill. What that means is that you have to evaluate whether it is cost efficient to invest in an upgraded pump/filter for that size pool ($150+). It will be interesting to see what others have to say since some of our readers break-down pump/filter size to pool ratio very well - it's what they do.

For now though, I'll start by providing you this link: Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2800 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden. It looks to be one of Intex's smallest products which I suspect should work fine for your pool, certainly better than the original tiny cartridges. At the same time, trying to and keep the cost down.

One last thought ... the filter you buy should inevitably be to increase circulation for chemicals and provide adequate movement of debris. We know filters (themselves) do not keep pool water sanitized, therefore they do not prevent algae. That's strictly a chemical issue, so I wanted to just highlight that if you weren't already aware. If you have any concerns about that angle, please let us know.

In any case, maybe some other replies will help you get the product you are happy with. Good luck.

The smallest Intex sand filter, 12" I think, would be a very nice upgrade from the cartridge filter. Lots of people on TFP have upgraded to the Intex sand filter and have been happy with it.

I used this skimmer on my Intex pool when I had one. It worked pretty well and we had a vacuum that plugged into yhe skimmer that also worked pretty well. INTEX Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer | Academy

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest getting a larger filter/pump that suits your needs and don't worry too much about the connections. I have a Pro Series AGP and an Intex Sand Filter/Pump/SWG. I had some issues making the connections, but found items like this to be easy to use and inexpensive:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_23461-34146-RNH40_0__
You can get a thru the wall skimmer relatively inexpensively. You have to cut your pool, but if you follow direction (many examples on Youtube) and be careful, you shouldn't have any issues. Once your skimmer is installed you can use a vacuum plate adapter to suction vacuum your pool. They look like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Replacement-Pool-Skimmer-Vac-Adapter-7-Inches/44929559
Just make sure you get one the correct size for your skimmer.
Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.