First running numbers - Clear water!! Ok to add borates??

Re: First running numbers

3 hours later:

FC = 9
CC = 4

I just got a whole lot of leaves out of the pool. So I am guessing that my CC level is caused by them. We have a thunderstorm coming so I quit "fishing" for now. I added another jug of bleach since this storm looks nasty and will probably blow more crud into the pool.

After a night of heavy rain, my numbers don't look too bad. We got at least 2 in of rain and the water id overflowing he skimmer now.

FC = 9
CC = 3
pH = 7.5

The pool pump quit running sometime over night, if I can get it running I will add some more bleach. I am guessing since I have added the CYA (enough to bring it up to bear 40) that my shock level should be 15, right?

We are supposed to get more rain today. :shock:

At 4:15pm yesterday, I tested:

FC = 14
CC = 3

At 6:30am this morning

FC = 12.5
CC = 2.5

We have sun today. I will not be able to monitor hourly or even every couple hours today, so I went ahead and added bleach. The water is still cloudy. Not sure what shock level should be since I don't know how much the CYA I added has been diluted by rainwater.

since I don't know how much the CYA I added has been diluted by rainwater.
Very Little.

If your pool averages 48" and you received an inch of rain, it would be a 2% dilution. Even a frog-stangling 4" of rain should result in less than a 10% dilution.

The exception is if your decking is designed incorrectly and the run-off goes into your pool and not away from it.

Over the years, I have never seen a rain have much significant affect on my pool water chemistry.

That is good to know. I think my pool does average 48" and we got about 4 in of rain - added to the pool - it is really full. I just got home, so I am headed out shortly to check FC & CC levels and drain some of the extra off.

I feel as though I am making no progress. I realize I need POP, but .......

This afternoon when I got home, my results were

FC = 13.5
CC = 2

I put a 182oz bottle of bleach in before leaving (I didn't have time to test 1 hr later) and when I got home I had nearly the same test results as I had in the morning. Obviously the sun used all the bleach I had added today. The water is still very cloudy in the pool, the water in my pint jar I use for my testing appears clear. I added approx 1/2 bottle of bleach when the sun was almost all the way off the pool.

At 8pm when as the sun was setting:

FC = 15.5
CC = 2

Trying to have POP, but it is hard when it appears that to progress is being made.

There is clear progress being made. On the 26th your CC was 4, on the 27th your CC was 3, today your CC is 2.

You are moving along steadily. In another two or three days you should be done. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I haven't been posting numbers all the time, but I am still fighting it. Water is still very cloudy. I am losing 2-4 FC overnight - sometimes it is from an early test (but it has been so cloudy that the sun isn't having much of an effect). CC is still running in the 2-3 range at every test. It has been so cloudy and dreary - rain nearly every day. I think I need the sun to help burn off the CC, so I don't know how long a process this will be. The 15 day forecast is not showing any significant amount of sunshine - only a couple days of partly sunny.

I will keep treading along with testing and adding chlorine. I will check my CYA sometime this weekend since it has been about a week since dosing the pool.

I am about out of FAS/DPD titrating reagent. I have it ordered, but it will be a few days before I get it. I am going to have to do some guessing (I have my old reagents, but when I compared it to the new one, I didn't get the same results so I am afraid to rely on them). For now I will test in the AM and in the evening for as long as I have reagent left.

Is there a problem if I overshoot the FC in my guestimate or does it just leave some in reserve?

I am still waiting for my refill reagent order to arrive, so I am doing the best I can with what I have left. Water is VERY cloudy still. The pool is using about 182oz of bleach per day. When I tested at 4pm yesterday, FC = 9.5, CC = 2, added 182oz bottle. I tested tonight at 7:20pm and FC = 9.5, CC = 2, pH = 7.2. I am trying to stay on top of it the best I can but there seems to be little progress.

We have a SWG that we are not running at all yet. Should we wait until the water is clear and FC is holding and CC are gone before adding salt and starting the SWG? Or should we go ahead and get the salt and get it going at normal levels to supplement the amount of bleach?

Adding the salt now won't really affect anything, so you can add it now if you like....but in order to properly do the overnight FC test, the SWG must be OFF. If the SWG is producing chlorine, you won't know if the FC is really holding. Hope that makes sense? :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.