Getting ready to raise TA on my new hottub when do i to stop adding increaser.

Jan 10, 2016
Crownsville, MD
Getting ready to fill and adjust/balance my hot tub water for the first time. 540 gallons

Well water is 6.6 Ph, TA 16, CH 6.
First question does water temp effect TA, next I'm guessing as I increase my TA it's ideal when I see very little Ph change while aerating the water? Than I guess adjust Ph as needed most likely up for my current water conditions.

Pool store and spa manufacture recommend 125-150 TA which seems to be way to high from what I've been learning here.

Next question is should I just keep working on TA/Ph before doing any CH adjustments?

Doing chlorine for sanitation

Thanks

Last edited:
TA up to 120 is ok for a pool but way too high for a hot tub and really too high for a pool usually also. And I would not recommend raising TA to 120 in a pool either.

TA should be 50 in a hot tub. Raise TA to 50 and add 50ppm of borates. Also raise CH last to about 100 to prevent foaming.

Here is a list of chemical, what they do and how to use them. It will help keep you out of the pool store and spend less money, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

There is an indepth discussion about TA, PH and borates here, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.