Depressing Christmas with Vinyl Lined Pool

Dec 26, 2015
Snellville, GA
Hey Guys,

We have lived at our house for a year and knew that we would have to replace the vinyl liner soon (11 years old) based on its condition. During the fall this year the liner came off track in the deep end and got a vertical and horizontal rip. We have been getting estimates for a new liner and are planning to replace it in the Spring.

Just before Christmas, we had some heavy rains for 4 days straight. Before this the water was clear and I had been getting leaves out everyday as the previous owner said she never covered the pool. The water is now dirty obviously from water run off. Needless to say, it definitely put a damper on Christmas looking out to the backyard and seeing this (see attachments). It still looks like this today with 3 days of rain coming tomorrow.

We tried to search on the internet and found a lot of differing advice.
1. Vacuum water out from behind the liner (it is now out in 2 places, we put a tarp on one hoping it would prevent more water from getting back there and now a new separation beside the skimmer)
2. Leaving it be till the water table drops, etc. Some have told us that it might be worse to vacuum the water from behind the liner and can result in structural damage

So knowing we are going to replace the liner, these are my questions:

-We were hoping not to replace the liner till the Spring, but should we get it done now? Will this mess up the structure/integrity of the pool if we wait?
-Should we get a hydrostatic valve for the main drain?
-When getting the new liner, is there something we should get the company to do to try to prevent the floating of the liner?
-Is a new liner just as prone to floating as an old liner?
-Any other suggestions about floating liner? I'm scared to invest in a new liner only to have it ruined next time it rains.
- If we decide to cover the pool for 2016 fall/winter: what is your experience on floating liners when you do uncover the pool??

In the past there has been some floating of the liner around the parts of the shallow end, sometimes around the side in the deep end. We did notice that there were wrinkles in the liner suggesting it had possibly floated before we bought the house. We plan on cleaning the drains around the concrete with a power washer and installing some drain boxes where water seems to run/puddle. The pool sits below the level of the main backyard and also is bordered in the back with retaining walls. Let me know if you want additional pictures. It could be worse, lots of people here with flooded basements. Bah Humbug.
IMG_4488.JPGIMG_4485(1).jpgIMG_4487.jpgIMG_4486.jpg

Liners float for a couple of reasons.

1. Ground water rises and the ground water level is higher than the bottom of the pool

2. The liner is ripped and water gets behind it.

Yours looks like #2 and I think you are confusing your issues with groundwater.

If I understand your post, replace the ripped liner and your problems are solved. You may have to wait until warmer weather.......talk to a liner guy.

Thanks for the responses. We had already talked to some companies about replacing the liner and have decided to get it replaced as soon as possible and not wait. I don't think we can stomach looking in our backyard and seeing the pool like this all through winter and spring. We probably will get a hydrostatic valve in the main drain as hopefully a safeguard for ground water. Wish us luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well been in the 70's the past couple of weeks here. The company who we decided to do the liner says it shouldn't be a problem if the temps are above 60F and do them year around. Should we be worried, didn't know if they are just trying to secure business during the slow season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Duraleigh, the problem is water got behind the liner.

Fixing it the sooner the better. Most companies will tell you to wait till warm weater above 60, because the vinyl will be more pliable and easier to work.
If the temp is cold, the vinyl will be stiff and much more difficult to work with while installing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.