Heating a small pool

ranmor

Dec 27, 2015
Belize
Hi pool experts!

My wife and I are in the process of opening a therapy pool, as a local business.
I'm just starting to learn this exciting new world of pools...
My main question is how to figure out the best type of heating?
Our pool will be a round, 5m (16ft), 1.3m (4.25ft) deep pool.
We need it heated constantly to 35c (95f).
It will be located outdoors, but covered by a closed roof (hopefully a dome), as well as a surface cover when not in use.
The pool will be located in San Pedro, Belize. Electricity rates there are about US$0.25 per KWH.
Average temps there are 20-30c all year long (68-86f).
I think a heat pump is the way to go, due to high efficiency, but not sure what BTU / COP ratings I should look for.
I would appreciate any tips or resources to continue my research.

Thanks!

First I want to say welcome and that you have a lovely country, I was just there week before last (Belize city and the inland part of the country near Guatemala). For your constant temperature demands I agree a heat pump would work best and should be nearly ideal for your climate. Normally for your climate and electric rates I would suggest considering solar, however solar is not good for precise temperature control as you have overnight water cooling to consider even if you do have a fairly constant supply of sunshine, this would likely mean water temperatures a couple of degrees F lower in the mornings than the afternoon or evenings.

Ike

I would agree that a heat pump is best; however, given the price per kWh is double what we experience, I suggest solar plus heat pump. The solar will keep your temperature near the ideal range during daytime hours and the heat pump can maintain, as needed to support. I realize I'm suggesting a very high initial investment, but That high kWh rate is not likely to change for some time, so that solar should pay for itself relatively quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.