Simple Variable vs 2 speed pump question

errorz

Oct 6, 2015
Phx, AZ
I have a quick question on Variable vs 2-speed. I currently have a whisperflow pump WFE-6(with a rather oversized 1.5/1.47 SF = 2.2HP motor on it for my pool) and am looking to either jump into a Variable or 2-speed replacement (modestly sized for my smaller pool).

I have two motors I am looking at:

2-speed 1HP/1.65SF = 1.65HP A.O. Smith Pool Motor Square Flange 1 HP Full Rate Dual Speed w/ Digital Controller (B2982T) - INYOPools.com
$340

Variable speed 1HP/1.65SF = 1.65HP A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com
$399

Both are AO Smith Motors, both same specs HP wise, They will be placed into a pump that is obviously made for a larger motor (so no problems with impeller replacement to size up).

I have always been under the impression that Variable speed is significantly more expensive, yet not so much the case here. Am I missing something? I know that appropriate surge protection is needed for variable morethan 2speed/singles, but everywhere I am reading thus-far states that Variable pumps take significantly longer to make-up the cost of them.

My Power here in phoenix is a rather odd .06/kW from 1900-1200 and .24/kW from 1200-1900 so having the ability to really slow down the pump to 1-200 watts during peak time will save a ton. As it stands right now I simply run the pump on offpeak power time.

Any & all thoughts are appreciated. Seems strange to "only" see a roughly $60 in price diff from 2-speed to variable.

You can get a whole variable speed pump for $550.00. By the time you buy a new impeller and seal kit, you're not that far from that. If the pump is old, the seal plate is likely to be bad. That's another $60.00. I would consider going whole new pump.

Being that I am dropping from the current pump of 2.2HP to a 1.6 HP either 2-speed or variable, would I need to install a new impeller?. My pump itself is less than 10 years old w/ original motor still working fine. I am just trying to save money.

I have been lurking around for the past two months and see a motor replacement (to a 2-speed) as a frequent recommendation for saving money. Have not seen someone retrofit a variable speed motor onto a pump though.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it and will be the first to admit I am rather new to this.

Being that I am dropping from the current pump of 2.2HP to a 1.6 HP either 2-speed or variable, would I need to install a new impeller?
Yes if those are THP ratings.

My pump itself is less than 10 years old w/ original motor still working fine. I am just trying to save money.
You might want to price out a motor + impeller against a new pump because sometimes it isn't much different.

But one thing I would not do is go with a retrofit VS. There have been an number of issues reported on the forums regarding those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.