Intex/Bestway filter pump pressure flow curves

Nov 16, 2015
CA
Do you have pressure/flow curves for either Intex or Bestway pumps? For either of these two, for example, 530 Gal Filter Pump (120v) - Pool Accessories - Above Ground Pools - Store - Default Category - Intex , Bestway ?

On another note, I see many pressure/flow curves that extend to zero flow - on Wayne's PC2 page for example. Most full size pool pumps have flow rates above 50 gpm. What will happen if I run a pool pump at low flow, e.g. 3 gpm, by restricting the outlet? This is equivalent to raising the water, as far as the pump is concerned. Will this burn out the pump? If so, then why do the manufacturers show curves extending to zero flow? If not, then why do the pumps technicians tell me (when I call them) that it will?

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have pressure/flow curves for either Intex or Bestway pumps? For either of these two, for example, 530 Gal Filter Pump (120v) - Pool Accessories - Above Ground Pools - Store - Default Category - Intex , Bestway ?
I have never seen a head curve for these pumps. I don't think they publish them.

The pump head curve simply shows how the pump performs under different operation conditions. In general, a pump can operate over the entire range of the head curve but that does not mean that you should. Both ends of the head curve should be avoided (0 flow and max flow). The pump relies on the water flow through the pump for heat dissipation so at 0 flow, heat can build up in the pump basket and start to melt components. At the other end of the curve is the pump runout and this is where caviation is likely to happen and where the impeller can be damaged. But for short duration's, even these operating points are still ok.

What will happen if I run a pool pump at low flow, e.g. 3 gpm, by restricting the outlet?
There may or may not be enough flow for heat dissipation so that is one concern. But why would you want to do that. It is incredibly inefficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.